To gear or not to gear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zazbnf

Reaction score
Looking at the JSP MaltMill, and trying to decide on options.

Should go with the version that is adjustable on one end? Is the gear drive for this one worth an extra $50?

Should go with the version that is adjustable on both ends but doesn't have the gear drive as an option?

Does it even really matter?

Should I keep drinking until the answer becomes clear?:drunk:

My monster doesn't have geared rollers and i really wish it had them. I'm pretty sure gears would eliminate my jamming problems. I've tried and tried all the tricks on the 'net and from Fred, they've helped considerably, but i still get jams occasionally. Argh!

My monster doesn't have geared rollers and i really wish it had them. I'm pretty sure gears would eliminate my jamming problems. I've tried and tried all the tricks on the 'net and from Fred, they've helped considerably, but i still get jams occasionally. Argh!

Does it jam or not drag malt through? I got mine built by a fabricator and when the rollers were to smooth the idle roller would loose grip and then stop turning and the mill would stop milling. Now the rollers are rougher (knurled a bit more) it keeps draggin malt through no issues.

My Monster mill doesn't have a jamming problem, but the LHBS has a crankandstein that does. I found turning the mill on then pouring the grain in slow at first, then dumping the rest once it is going, I have no jams. Reducing the size of the grain hopper opening at the mill side could also reduce your jamming.

Thanks for the info. Based on some of the posts I have read, I was leaning towards the geared mill. I took the plunge and ordered the geared model today.

Now I just need to track down a motor.

Back