My burner makes so much soot! Is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianQuaffer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just bought a turkey fryer set up a while ago and did my first AG BIAB with it today.
Well, the burner left the bottom of my brew pot black as hell as well as the body of the burner itself. Black crud everywhere.

Is this normal or do I just have a POS burner? I adjusted the flame with the air damper before brew time to be almost entirely blue with just small yellow tips, but once the pot got put on top of the burner the flame turned almost 100% yellow.

Just wondering if it's normal to have to clean the bottom of your pot everytime after using a propane burner.

Thanks!

Nick

Sounds like your pressure is too low. Might need a high pressure regulator. I don't understand how the pot could affect the mixture though.

Yeah, it's weird. The pot pushes the flames down to about 1/2 their normal height when burning without the pot, if that makes sense. The flames then spread along the bottom and lick up the sides about an inch. Once the pot gets put on the flames go from almost 100% blue to 100% yellow.

Think I might just ditch the burner and get a Bayou Classics one. The set I got was on sale and made it worth it for just the pot and strainer alone.

Any burner will work with the right mix of gas and air. I got my high pressure regulator from the local gas and oil company, the ones that bulk deliver propane. It's worth a shot.

Any burner will work with the right mix of gas and air. I got my high pressure regulator from the local gas and oil company, the ones that bulk deliver propane. It's worth a shot.

A new burner costs about, what, 100 bucks? Wouldn't it be easier just to get a new one?

No burners are cheaper than that. The regulator allows you to adjust the pressure delivered to the burner. I think I paid $35 for my regulator.

If the pot is to large and to close to the burner it will do as you say. Lift the pot up and inch or two. If the burner burns right with the pot off then it's not the burner.

If the pot is to large and to close to the burner it will do as you say. Lift the pot up and inch or two. If the burner burns right with the pot off then it's not the burner.

You know, I was thinking it might be due to the fact that the pot is sitting aboit 2 inches off the burner. I have a few ideas on how to raise it up that I'm gonna try, thanks!

As the previous poster stayed it has to do with an incorrect mix of air and gas.... It can be adjusted but I don't know how and need to know myself as I have the same problem.

Back