Backwoods Bastard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second this, just pulled my last one out of the fridge, need more, would love to see a nice clone recipe.

Start by looking for a Dirty Bastard clone then buy a bourbon barrel or start soaking sone medium toast American oak in some beam. Boil the oak in water first though.

I have tried to clone this couple times and have not come close, if I remember I'll post my recipes when I get home.

Its not actually Dirty Bastard in Bourbon Barrels, its actually a different recipe just like KBS is not actually Barrel aged Breakfast Stout. This is where I was struggling before, I kept going off of what I knew about dirty bastard only to find out later that they are similiar but not the same.

I have tried to clone this couple times and have not come close, if I remember I'll post my recipes when I get home.

Its not actually Dirty Bastard in Bourbon Barrels, its actually a different recipe just like KBS is not actually Barrel aged Breakfast Stout. This is where I was struggling before, I kept going off of what I knew about dirty bastard only to find out later that they are similiar but not the same.

I know one of the brewers. Its the same.

Here is a Founder's Press release that says different.
http://***********.com/beer-news/founders-backwoods-bastard-returns-local-collaboration
Weird it won't let me put the link to "the full pint" So here is what it says

Founders Brewing Announces Return of Backwoods Bastard + Collaboration with local snowboard maker.

November may mean a lot of things to a lot of people. It’s No Shave November, NaNoWriMo, and American Diabetes Month, among others. But to us here at the brewery, November marks the time during which we all take a moment to venture into the Backwoods with our dear friend, the Backwoods Bastard.

This beer uses a recipe similar to our Dirty Bastard as its base, then ages in bourbon barrels in caves beneath Grand Rapids before being bottled for you!

“Expect lovely, warm smells of single malt scotch, oaky bourbon barrels, smoke, sweet caramel and roasted malts, a bit of earthy spice, and a scintilla of dark fruit. It’s a kick-back sipper made to excite the palate.”

I was also told by someone who works there that its similar but not identical.

Here is what I ended up using.

14lb 2row
.5lb Cara Pils
.5lb Caramunich
.5lb Caravienne
.5lb Special B
.25lb Chocolate
.125lb Peated malt
1oz Chinnook at 60 min
1oz Goldings at 30
1oz Goldings at 10
1 cup bourbon
4oz oak chips

Mashed at 152
60min boil

Used Nottingham Yeast.

Did this twice. The first time had terrible efficiency due to a poor crush from the LHS, in fact led me to buy a barley crusher. It was still good but not even close to the original.

Rebrewed with better crushed grains, plus added a pound of 2row and used Safale 04 yeast and it is much closer. Not quite there yet, we aged it in the secondary with chips for 3 weeks. Lacking a bit in the oak flavor and not quite Thick enough

Next time I'm going to use actual bourbon barrel pieces and age it much longer. The bourbon seems about right, and the recipe doesn't seem to far off, but just a little lacking in the thickness and some of the crystal notes. I'm thinking of Upping the Special B or Caramunich the next time I do it. I will probably also go to a 90min boil and up the mash temp to 156.

Love to hear back from anyone else trying to get this done.

I had one the other day and it tasted just like Founder's Nemesis (2009 is the version of Nemesis I had). I actually haven't had Dirty Bastard, so I can' compare it to that.

I had one the other day and it tasted just like Founder's Nemesis (2009 is the version of Nemesis I had). I actually haven't had Dirty Bastard, so I can' compare it to that.

Nemesis 09 is a wheat wine and not even remotely similar to backwoods.

I buy some every year. The first is never as good as I remember, but by the end of it's time on the shelves I end up buying several four packs. This is my favorite beer that Founders makes, and I've had the KBS. I'm not buying the KBS anymore, I don't understand what the big deal is. I don't think it's good, and whiskey barrel stouts are sort of my jam.

Back