Chinook description/usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
So I've read about Chinook and some threads here about recipes, but I can't seem to get a good grip on it. Has anyone used Chinook a lot?

FWIW, I've been using Cascade & Centennial in my pale ales (#1 style for me) lately, and my absolute favorite is Simcoe, but I am looking to expand my repertoire. I haven't been a big fan of Magnum.

I'd be happy for any input. Thanks!

I use chinook quite a bit. It is a versatile hop, but usually used for bittering. If you have tried arrogant bastard, it is chinook all the way through.

I brewed a SMaSH Golden Promise and Chinook ale recently. It was good, not great, and I felt like it was wanting for some more fruity aromatics. On the other hand, the Porter I have on right now is Chinook all the way through, and it's ideal in that application.

944play said:
. On the other hand, the Porter I have on right now is Chinook all the way through, and it's ideal in that application.

That makes perfect sense! For some reason I always think of hops in terms of pale ales, but the "earthy" description would make it perfect. Nice!!

Thank you, sir!

Yeah, it's definitely not a "subtle" hop but it's great in the right recipes. I love it w/ rye.

Back