Can A Bcs-460 Control A 5-way Solenoid Valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScubaSteve

Reaction score
Hey All-

My gears are turning :rockin: and I'm looking at upgrading my rig to all electric, likely controlled by a BCS-460. I've seen a few 3,4, and 5-way ASCO valves on E-Bay, and I wonder how I could get the BCS to control them. I understand the concept of using an SSR to switch a solenoid that has one function, but how would it work for a 5-way valve? I wonder if the relay would have to send consecutive signals to get the valve to switch through its different configurations.....:confused:

I wonder if the relay would have to send consecutive signals to get the valve to switch through its different configurations.....

No, those valves don't work that way.
If I read you right you are looking for a multi ported rotary valve with a stepping actuator.
Standard 2 or 3 way solenoid valves come with one solenoid
to activate the valve, you supply a voltage, no switching through a sequence exists.

A 4 way valve comes with a single solenoid spring return valve or dual solenoid.
Same thing here, suppling a voltage to the single solenoid valve will activate the valve (connects pressure port to an outlet port).
Removing the voltage deactivates the valve (switching the ports back).
Dual solenoid valves require a voltage for each solenoid, to activate and deactivate the valve, but not at the same time.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

ClaudiusB-

Thanks for the input! Looks like I'm after a single solenoid valve, with 4 ports. So, if your ports are labeled 1-4 in a clockwise fashion, when de-energized ports 1/3 and 2/4 will be connected. When energized, the valve will switch and ports 1/4 and 2/3 will be connected. Kinda like a railroad, right? So, if I used the BCS-460 to switch a 120v SSR, the relay will switch the valve, right?

Here's a link to the type of valve I'm looking at: http://www.valve-store.com/8344.htm

I wonder how boiling liquids will affect these. Can anyone attest to their performance in their sculpture? Surely, they must be able to handle more than their "advertised" rating.....

I work with these valves and they have problems with small particles and the pilot solenoid passages. Another thing to consider is these valves would require at least 5 PSI+ pressure drop to be able to move valve piston for switching, more than most mag coupled homebrewing sized pumps would handle. You would probably be better off with a rotary ball valve setup where electric actuator is external, and valve is able to handle particles in working fluid. You could adapt the Apollo 5 way with a gear motor and 2 switches to get 4 positions, this would take 1 output and 2 input channels to control.

Kladue, as always, thank for you help :) I know you mentioned the Apollo valve in another thread regarding directional control valves. Seems like a gear motor and switches could get pretty expensive....not to mention that I'm not sure I can create a very clean look/installation. Aren't these ASCO's the same valves everyone is using in their automated rigs? Can anyone comment on this, or are most people just automating the gas and turning liquid valves by hand?

Back