How to bottle high alcohol, barrel aged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stockwes

Reaction score
So, i have been working on a rather large brewing project for the last few YEARS. I made a imperial stout, about 13%ABV by my latest calculation. It sat in carboys drying out for nearly a year and now it has spent the last year and a half in a 2yr old Hungarian oak barrel that had some world class pinot noir in it prior to filling. I have a lot of money and time invested into this beer and want it to come out amazing. I tasted it a few days ago and was very impressed. I think it is time to package.

I plan on putting 30 gal of it into two sanke kegs and putting them into the back of my beer closet and forgetting about it. I want to put 15 gal of it into cornies for more immediate consumption, and i wanted to bottle the remaining 15 gal of it.

I was planning on putting the kegged beer into its vessel, pressurizing it to like 15lbs to seal the keg, and carbing the rest of the way when it was time to serve.

I was a little more lost when trying to figure out how to bottle. Should i keg it, carb it, then use a counter pressure filler to bottle? If i wanted to bottle condition for the carbonation, would there be enough yeast left after 2.5 years to eat the priming sugar? What should i do for the bottling portion of it? Any ideas, suggestions, opinions would be appreciated!

At 2.5 years and 13% ABV, I would imagine that the yeast aren't going to do much as far as carbing. If you have the means to carb from a keg, that will probably get you the best, most consistent results.

i would think you'd need to re-pitch at bottling to get carbonation in the bottle. i would probably keg the beer you want to bottle, get the carb where you want it, and bottle off the keg. i love the results i've gotten with that method.

I have to agree with the above posts, keg it, carb to the desired level and bottle off the keg, I use this method for the beers I enter in comps so I can get the exact carbonation level I want.

I do slightly overcarb, then drop the serving pressure very low to bottle, comes out perfect! I use BierMunchers method, I also chill the bottles in the kegerator to minimize foaming.

Latest posts

Back