Question on Technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piratepilot

Reaction score
Hello, this is a great forum and I have learned more than I ever wanted to know about beer. I am getting ready to bottle an extract Long Hammer IPA clone, it is currently in the secondary being dry hopped with 1 oz Cascade leaf hops in a muslim bag.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage when I siphon the beer to the bottling bucket, to let the beer run over and drain through the Cascade leaf hops in the muslim bag when transferring?

I'm curious to learn if this will help or hurt my beer?

Ingredients-
8 lbs pale liquid extract
1 oz Norther Brewer Hops (60 min)
1 oz Williamette Hops (10 Min)
1 oz Cascade Hops (5 min)
1 oz Cascade Hops (dry hop)
Pacific Ale WLP041 Yeast

The disadvantage is that I don't see how you'd 'drain' it over the bag without aerating the hell out of it. Aeration = oxidation = stale beer flavors rapidly developing in the bottle.

I.e., no shelf life for your sweet nectar.

The disadvantage is that I don't see how you'd 'drain' it over the bag without aerating the hell out of it. Aeration = oxidation = stale beer flavors rapidly developing in the bottle.

I.e., no shelf life for your sweet nectar.

I agree to a point. If you are not really slow with your shipon you will definitely areate it, but, when the water level gets high enough, your muslim bag of hops will be under your beer level and no other oxygen will get into it. What I would do is siphon your beer until there is enough of a liquid level to submerge your hops underneath, then let 'er ride. See how it goes and post the results. :tank:

Back