Clean Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtimm1

Reaction score
I know this is a rookie question but I have gotten different answers at the local shops. I use straght A to clean my bottles and Iodophor to sanitize. The question is, do I need to clean the bottles with the Straight A the same day I bottle or can I clean the bottles a few days before I bottle and Sanitize just prior to filling them with brew. Thank you!!!:)

I generally wash them in batches, cover them in foil, and put them away until bottling day. I rinse them out really well and dunk them in StarSan before bottling. So far, so good.

I always "sanitize" my bottles in the dish washer right before I bottle.

I would think that a few days beforehand would not be a good idea, but it would prolly work, as long as you kept the bottles in a sanitary space.

cheers

I clean the bottles whenever.....and sanitize the day I bottle...I have several cases of cleaned bottle awaiting bottling day.

If you store them closed in acase that's ideal....if you can even cover them with tinfoil or wax paper that's good two, just to make sure nothing crawls in them...but remember you will be sanitizing them on bottling day and that's really all that matters.

But after you are done with the straight a, instead of buying that, do what most of us do and get a tub of Oxyclean and use that instead...in the long run it is much cheaper than straight a.

I have one of those bottle trees in the basement. I rinse all of my bottles a couple times, then take them down to the tree in the AM. I sanitize with iodophor right before bottling. So to answer your question, clean any time... Make sure you rinse thoroughly with Oxyclean or onestep. Do not rinse iodophor or starsan, and sanitize right before you bottle.

I just wash them good the first time I get them to get the labels off and get all the crap out of the inside of them, then make sure that I rinse them out really good after I empty them. Once their emptied and rinsed I hang them on my bottle tree to dry, then store them upside down in milk crates. I don't wash them out at all, just give them a few good squirts of Idophor with my Vinator Bottle Squirter Thingy, hang them on the tree, and bottle away. I do visually check each bottle before I squirt it to make sure there's no caked on yeast, but that's about it...

Clean is clean, unless you have a lot of bugs running around into everything like ant's you can just sanitize them. Personally I clean them, but before sanitizing them I give them a quick rinse, visual inspection and the dip them.

Latest posts

Back