Rye Pale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
Im looking to make a rye pale ale with using hops and yeast that will let the rye shine through. i have access to white labs yeast, and thought i would use the wlp001. Ive used wlp002, 005, and 007. i like the 007 in ipas. I also want a nice red/copper color to it.

suggestions welcome.

here is the recipe, its a 10 gal batch.

Rye Pale - American Pale Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 12.000 gal
Boil Size: 13.000 gal
Boil Time: 1.000 hr
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.058
FG: 1.012
ABV: 6.0%
Bitterness: 38.8 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 11 SRM (Morey)
Yeast: WLP001
Mash 154

Fermentables

20 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
4 lbs Rye Malt
1.5 lbs 60 Caramel/Crystal Malt
.5 lbs 120 Caramel/Crystal Malt
2 lbs Wheat Malt

Hops

1 oz @ 60 Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus
1 oz @ 25 Amarillo
1 oz @ 15Amarillo
.5 oz @ 5 Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus
.5 oz @ 0 Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus
2 oz dryhopColumbus/Tomahawk/Zeus

I would not make a Rye Ale with 50% Rye

I have with 5% and that is to little for rye taste but it had alot of body and was really smooth.

I also have two recipes lined up using rye, one has 15% like yours and the other 30%

I will also be using Amarillo, and possibly Columbus.

I can not help you with the yeast, I would like to know for my self what yeast lets the rye shine through.

So looking good there ;)

I personally think rye goes really well with noble hops. As for yeast, I would go pretty neutral (001) or a more malt based one (002).

I have been working on a Rogen for the past several years. My goals are pretty much the same as what you have expressed...let the rye shine through, color about the same level and little hop finishing. I am up to 60% Rye malt at this point. I am not completely sure that I yet have what I want but I am close. I am afraid that you wont even notice the rye flavor in your recipe. Working with a lot of rye is a real pain when it comes time to sparge...it sticks very easy because it has no husk. Be sure you add rice hulls. I gave up on using flaked rye because it didn't have as much rye flavor and was even worse to sparge than the rye malt. I use WLP 036. One thing that I learned early in my search is that many folks think that Cartaway flavor is Rye flavor. I would get some rye bread with and without caraway and taste it just so you are sure of the difference. You can add caraway to your beer, I have done so in the past, but true Rogen will not permit the addition of the caraway.

looks good-what crystal are you using? make sure you use plenty of hulls, rye is way worse in my experience than wheat... i use 15-20 % in my pale/ipa. i suggest a cleaner malt (ive even used cali lager) as fruitiness from fermentation will subdue the rye.

i've done a roggen @ 50% but that is way too much IMO for a pale ale/ipa... you can certainly pick it up @ 20%.

mmmm... rye pale ale! my current favorite... i like the recipe but i'd ditch the wheat. the rye doesn't suspend like the wheat and it'll pour clean, clear and crisp without the wheat (just my tastes, so ymmv)

second the rice hulls, why even chance a stuck sparge?

i'd do the opposite on the hops, maybe move the 25 closer to the end, but i like distinct bitter/aroma additions.

I love Amarillo hops with rye. I would highly suggest making your dry hop an Amarillo instead of the Columbus/Zeus/Tomahawk. I love rye ales, and probably do 5-6 rye batches a year. I find that using marris otter as opposed to a standard pale malt will make a nice complement, or adding some Munich as a replacement for 2-4 pounds of the pale malt.

I do a Rye Pale Ale with caramunich, white wheat, and 15% unmalted rye.
Amarillo for Bittering and Dry Hop, Sterling for flavor/aroma. I find the spicyness of the Sterling helps bring out the spicyness of the Rye, and the amarillo contributes great juicy flavor.
Step mash
20min @ 122
40min @ 154
Ferment with WLP001 and dry hop for 5 days.

oh i didn't even realize the type of C was missing. its C60 and C120, fixed the first post. ill ditch the wheat, up the rye to 20%, get some rice hulls, and add some munich. i think i like the hops how they are. i may make some adjustments, going to the lhbs tomorow. thanks for the suggestions.

are you getting that mixed up with wheat? i dont think you want more than 15-20%

This is from the BJCP guidlines for 15 D:

Ingredients: Malted rye typically constitutes 50% or greater of the grist (some versions have 60-65% rye). Remainder of grist can include pale malt, Munich malt, wheat malt, crystal malt and/or small amounts of debittered dark malts for color adjustment.

This is from the BJCP guidlines for 15 D:

Ingredients: Malted rye typically constitutes 50% or greater of the grist (some versions have 60-65% rye). Remainder of grist can include pale malt, Munich malt, wheat malt, crystal malt and/or small amounts of debittered dark malts for color adjustment.

thats for a roggen, not a rye pale/ipa- there are no real guidelines for them... noticable rye contributions in these styles sometimes go into the speciality category.

Back