Too high of an SG for the Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsterk2

Reaction score
I just brewed an IPA, expecting my specific gravity to come to 1.060, but as it turns out came to 1.065. I used Wyeast 1056 to innoculate the 5 gal batch, but I'm afraid this yeast may not be able to handle this brew. What are my options? Would I be out of line going out tomorrow and pitching a starter? Am I screwed?

you should be fine. do you mean you pitched a smack pack of 1056? it will definitely ferment that beer fine, it might be a bit underpitched, but that yeast is so clean, i bet it will come out fine. don't sweat it. coming out .005 points isn't a huge jump and that yeast handled an 8.5% imperial stout i brewed with no problem.

Yea it's what you'd call a smack pack, with the little bladder inside the packet. Thanks for the help. I just love my beers so much!

A difference of 0.005 is not going to put any yeast over the edge. That is a very small change in your OG.

Anyways, I have used WLP001 (same yeast basically) in beers up to 1.085 - 1.09.

Next time make a starter to increase the amount of yeast before you pitch it in the main batch. There is lots of great info on making starters on mrmalty.com They even have an interactive calculator for figuring out how big a starter to make. I find that site invaluable in deciding what size starter to make.

Back