Brewers/Cubs 3 game set starting Friday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You ready Cheese? This is phase 1 of the bet! Brewers are hot!

To refresh (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22146&page=3):

Dude said:
You sound like you are confident enough for a friendly bet. Straight up, Brewers/Cubs season record against each other. Whomever's team wins, the other buys the first 2 pints when we meet up in the near future. Cool?

(I cannot believe I just offered a bet expecting the Brewers to win anything for me) *smacks head*

Cheesefood said:
Deal. Care to make it interesting on the record against each other? Say, the absolute best ~$10 bottle of beer you can find at the liquor store?

Dude said:
DEAL. :rockin:

Cheesefood said:
Sweet.

April 23-25 is the first series
June 4-6 is the second series
June 29-July 1 is the third series
August 28-30 is the fourth series

We'll go by total games won. We need 7 wins to win the bet. If we split, we each send each other a ~$10 beer (and this isn't a $10 Strip Club Bud Light). Payable ASAP upon the seventh win.

Dude said:
Good.

*searches desk for that Anheuser-Busch BE 22 oz. coupon*

:p

I am down to get in on this action if its possible, the Cubs will kick the Brewers Collective A$$'s.

How's this gonna work? I'm betting against Dude.
Seeing as how the Brewswap ended up costing me about $8.00 for each shipment, I don't really want to take on more than one person for this bet.

Cheesefood said:
How's this gonna work? I'm betting against Dude.
Seeing as how the Brewswap ended up costing me about $8.00 for each shipment, I don't really want to take on more than one person for this bet.

Wuss. Wait....highly UN-CONFIDENT wuss. :D

I'll get in with the Cubs fans who want to partake in some ass-whupping.

Dude said:
Wuss. Wait....highly UN-CONFIDENT wuss. :D

I'll get in with the Cubs fans who want to partake in some ass-whupping.

By the way, I'm a sore loser. So ***IF*** the stress of being for sale causes the Cubs to make a few unintended errors and lose the bet for me, expect a little something extra in there.

I'm not a gambler but will enjoy watching the smack talk! It is so much better with the Brewers being in the National league so this rivalry can exist.

wisconsin.gif

Every twenty-five years the baseball team from Milwaukee goes to the World Series. 1957 Milwaukee Braves win the World Series comma 1982 Milwaukee Brewers go to the World Series comma AND in 2007 the Milwaukee Brewers will go to the World Series again!! Wrong year to bet against the Brewers. We've been to two since you've gone and won ine in that span too. GO BREWERS!!

Whoa, hold the phone!!! I am SOOO in on this!!!!

Chubs are SOOO gettin beat!!

BTW years ago I had a season-long bet with a co-worker that was a die-hard Cubbie fan. You got one pont for the best head-to-head record, one point for best division standing, and I think we may have thrown team ERAs and batting aves in there somehow, too.

the_bird said:
Where's rdwj? He'll take me up on a wager, won't he?

PLEASE - NEVER confuse the Self-respecting South Siders on this board (like Rhoobarb and I) with the faux baseball "fans" to the north.

rdwj said:
PLEASE - NEVER confuse the Self-respecting South Siders on this board (like Rhoobarb and I) with the faux baseball "fans" to the north.

Yeah...um...we're faux. How many pre-2005 Sox jersey's do you ever see people wearing?

I was at the game today - sporting my 83 Fisk jersey. I see lots of vintage jerseys at the game. There are plenty of WS gear, but that's because we won a World Series in the last century. Honestly, are there really ANY Cub fans? I know there are Wrigley fans, and people that like to hang out in the area, but not many that actually FOLLOW the game.

Funny, the Southtown Economist did a survey at Wrigley on a game day a few years back. Over HALF of the people attending the game had no idea who the Cubs were playing.

rdwj said:
Funny, the Southtown Economist did a survey at Wrigley on a game day a few years back. Over HALF of the people attending the game had no idea who the Cubs were playing.

That's understandable. For it to be a "contest", both teams must have a reasonable expectation to win. Since it's the Cubs, there isn't that reasonable expectation and therefore no "game" was being played. Half of the people were correct, The Cubs weren't playing anyone.

rdwj said:
I was at the game today - sporting my 83 Fisk jersey. I see lots of vintage jerseys at the game. There are plenty of WS gear, but that's because we won a World Series in the last century. Honestly, are there really ANY Cub fans? I know there are Wrigley fans, and people that like to hang out in the area, but not many that actually FOLLOW the game.

I trash the Cubs all the time here and elsewhere, but I will NEVER trash their fans. I know a LOT of die-hard Cub fans, and the ones I know are some of the most knowledgeable and loyal fans I'll ever know. One in particular has forgotten more about baseball that I will ever know. (He's a Packer fan in football, how's that for a wierd combo?) I have never had a bad experience at a Brewer-Cub game, ever. A Cub fan would just as soon drink a beer with you than anything. A Sox fan, on the other hand.......well, let's just say that I've never seen so many fights at a sporting event in my life as I did at the Brewer-Sox games that I've been to, and I have been to several Packer-Bear games.

ill.literate said:
wop... what animal is giving it to the cubby bear from behind in your avatar? ;)

It's a Goat. Any True Cubs Fan can tell you the Curse of the Goat. I will lay it out for all you Haters.

As the story goes, Billy Sianis, a Greek immigrant (from Paleopyrgos, Greece[1]), who owned a nearby tavern (the now-famous Billy Goat Tavern), had two $7.20 box seat tickets to Game 4 of the 1945 World Series between the Chicago Cubs and the Detroit Tigers, and decided to bring along his pet goat, Murphy (or Sinovia according to some references), which Sianis had restored to health when the goat had fallen off a truck and subsequently limped into his tavern. The goat wore a blanket with a sign pinned to it which read "We got Detroit's goat"[2]. Sianis and the goat were allowed into Wrigley Field and even paraded about on the playing field before the game before ushers intervened and led them off the field. After a heated argument, both Sianis and the goat were permitted to stay in the stadium occupying the box seat for which he had tickets. At this point, Andy Frain (head of Wrigley Field's hired security company at the time), waved the goat's box-seat ticket in the air and proclaimed "If he eats the ticket that would solve everything."[3]. However, the goat did not. Before the game was over, Sianis and the goat were ejected from the stadium at the command of Cubs owner Philip Knight Wrigley due to the animal's objectionable odor. Sianis was outraged at the ejection and allegedly placed a curse upon the Cubs that they would never win another pennant or play in a World Series at Wrigley Field again because the Cubs organization had insulted his goat, and subsequently left the U.S. to vacation in his home in Greece.

The Cubs lost Game 4 and eventually the 1945 World Series, prompting Sianis to write to Wrigley from Greece, saying, "Who stinks now?" Following a third-place finish in the National League in 1946, the Cubs would finish in the league's second division for the next 20 consecutive years. This streak finally ended in 1967, the year after Leo Durocher became the club's manager. Since that time, the supposedly cursed Cubs have not won a National League pennant or played in a World Series – the longest pennant drought in Major League history. Sianis died in 1970.

There are many things through out the years that back up the curse here are a coupple of links to do some reading up on it.

http://www.reversethecurse.com/
http://cubscurse.knup.net/
http://www.karlschatz.com/yearofthegoat/archives/000092.shtml

Brewers are going down BIAAAAAAAtCH!!!!!!!

Bernie Brewer said:
I trash the Cubs all the time here and elsewhere, but I will NEVER trash their fans. I know a LOT of die-hard Cub fans, and the ones I know are some of the most knowledgeable and loyal fans I'll ever know. One in particular has forgotten more about baseball that I will ever know. (He's a Packer fan in football, how's that for a wierd combo?) I have never had a bad experience at a Brewer-Cub game, ever. A Cub fan would just as soon drink a beer with you than anything. A Sox fan, on the other hand.......well, let's just say that I've never seen so many fights at a sporting event in my life as I did at the Brewer-Sox games that I've been to, and I have been to several Packer-Bear games.

There are always exceptions and obviously you know some. Actually, I give Cheese credit - he's a good fan. But honestly, you don't live in the area, so you don't know the faux fans of which I speak. The die-hard Cubs fans I know hate them too. Just there for the scene and not the game.

Back