Fermentation explosion Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, yesterday I brewed a Marzen style beer. We usually put our lagers into a carboy because unlike the buckets the carboy can fit in my lagering fridge. I guess this type of yeast is more active that previously used yeast strains or something because this is what I woke up to:

8fczK.jpg

Now i'm not sure what to do. I can try and clean off the top and put a blow off tube up there, although it seems like it will just try and clog the blow off tube as well. Is open fermentation at all safe? This is a beer that is going to take at least 8 weeks to complete, I don't want to put a lot of time into it if it's doomed. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I'd put a blow off on it asap. But with all that krausen & resulting CO2,I don't think an infection would stand anymore chance than a snowball in hell.

unionrdr said:
I'd put a blow on it asap. But with all that krausen & resulting CO2,I don't think an infection would stand anymore chance than a snowball in hell.

Agreed. Definitely wouldn't do an open fermentation for 8 weeks.

Well, i was thinking an open for a day or 2 until fermentation dies down and I feel it's safe to put something on. I think i'll put a blow off tube on it but check it hourly for clogs.

I don't think I've even heard of a blow off getting clogged like an airlock. That's something like 5/16" to 1/2" hose...

Awesome. Yeah, the blow off seems to be working. The yeast is kinda working it's way up into the tube but it's not clogging it. Thanks for the info guys! :)

Looks like I need to bite the bullet and invest in a lagering fridge that can actually hold a larger vessel.

Glad to be of service. The size hose typically used has too much ID to clog up. I wish I had a temp controlled fridge.

Back