Temp controlling a fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I have this fridge, and i think it would be nifty neato to lager.... so I need a temp controller, no problem, but is there anyway to control the temp of the fridge while still having a usable freezer?

You probably don't need a controller to lager, but you would need one to ferment lagers. In the first case, the freezer will function normally, but maintaining 50F for fermentation whether or not the freezer will be frozen depends on the fridge and ambient temperatures. My old kegger is now a fermentation cabinet. When I kept the main section at 40-45F, the freezer was fine. At 50F, most of the time the freezer isn't.

I am in the same boat. Found the stock thermostat and was hoping to swap that out with some after market unit, preferably digital, but analog will do. Google searches up and down but keep coming up with the traditional 'plug interception unit'. Looking for something more hardwired. I.E., functional freezer at fridge temps 50f-70f

1255617964.jpg

the guy on the top left

Ebay..

I took apart my old side by side that I was throwing out and I found the way it worked was the freezer controller is what called for the compressor to come on. The fridge controller opened and closed a baffle that covered a passage between the freezer and fridge. It's just like how the son of fermentation chiller works.

If you had a fridge that worked that way, you'd have to override the controller that opened the baffle and NOT run the unit's total power off the controller.

Ebay..

I took apart my old side by side that I was throwing out and I found the way it worked was the freezer controller is what called for the compressor to come on. The fridge controller opened and closed a baffle that covered a passage between the freezer and fridge. It's just like how the son of fermentation chiller works.

If you had a fridge that worked that way, you'd have to override the controller that opened the baffle and NOT run the unit's total power off the controller.

This is the way my side by side works as well. I started out by taping over all of the ports between the freezer and fridge. This resulted in a maximum fridge temperature of about 45°F while maintaining the freezer at 0°F. I then placed a thermostatically controlled heater in the bottom of the fridge section and continuously tweaked the heaters thermostat until I reached the desired fermentation temp.

Back