New Carboy-glass? ok just to sanitize?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernewb

Reaction score
looks clean, don't want to waste 6 gallons of water cleaning first if I don't have to.

plan on using star san and then pouring that from the carboy into a bucket to sanitize other things like the airlock, stirring spoon hydrometer etc.

trying to be a little green here:mug:

brewing a northern brewer cream stout on the porch this evening.

Whether new or previously-used by me, I give it a blast with the jet-bottlewasher dealie then sanitise.

Is it best to fill the carboy up with a star san solution and soak, or is it ok to just fill maybe a gallon's worth and slosh around?

(sorry to highjack but this seemed an apptoptaite thread to ask this in :))

I here you on trying to be green. I've been filling the carboy but then reusing the solution to sanitize other things. Usually I keep a large rubbermaid plastic bin to put the solution in for reuse.

i just put a cup full in and slosh(i'm cheap - my first bottle of starsan lasted 3 years!)

+1 to sloshing it around, dump it out, save it for future use. I'll use about a gallon in my 5 gal glass secondary. There will still be foam left; you can invert the carboy and let some of that drain out, but it's ok to rack right into the foam.

Primary : AHS Gold Seal Holiday Ale
Primary : Edwort's Apfelwein

My carboy didn't smell so fresh when I first got it, so I washed that thing out good, it's better to be safe than spend a month + making beer only to find out it tastes bad from your rank carboy. .

Back