Slow carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROAD MUTANT

Reaction score
I'm new to your forum so please forgive any mistakes.
Having troubles with glass 'o foam with my force carbonation "shake" method.
System is balanced but I think I'm over shaking it. I don't mind waiting for beer since I give my beers 2 months to condition anyway. I've dedicated a co2 cylinder to carbonating only but I cannot maintain 60 degrees or less.
(have to do it at room temp. 70 degrees approx.)
Can I set it at 6-12 psi and leave it? How long should it take? Will I need to adjust for the fact that the beer will be chilled before I tap it? Basically looking for a way to get it right the first time even if it takes a long time.
BTW I wish I knew about this site when I was beginning brewing. This is a great resource.

The amount of dissolved CO2 is a function of pressure and temperature. There is also a pretty big difference between 6 PSI and 12 PSI. For a typical beer at 40 F and 10 PSI, your "volumes of CO2" will be about 2.3. For a similar CO2 content at 70 F, you need to maintain a pressure of about 30 PSI. This means open the CO2 valve, set the regulator at 30, connect to the keg and wait. According to the tables, this will give you about 2.3 volumes of CO2 once everything comes to equilibrium, which should take maybe a week. After a week, disconnect the CO2 inlet and put the keg in the fridge with nothing attached. Theoretically, once everything chills down to 40 F, the pressure in the keg will have fallen from 30 PSI to about 10 PSI.

You can view the carbonation table at http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com/ForceCarbonation.html

Prosit,

Back