Should I keep it or sell it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
When I moved to AG and started looking for 1/2 barrel kegs, when I finally DID find someone that had some, I bought 2 of them.

They're not that easy to come by around my area... I have one converted to a keggle with the ball valve and the other is just taking up space...

There's been some folks looking for kegs in my area and I thought about selling the 2nd one but just afraid to let it go haha..

5 gallon batches are no problem with my 1/2 barrel keggle. I also have 22 qt and 20 qt pots for my sparge water.

And, I'm thinking if I do any 10 gallon batches, even with a 15 pound grain bill, my sparge water would be around 8 gallons and I could do the double sparge with 4 gallons each in my smaller pots...

Do you all see any need in holding on to the 2nd 1/2 barrel keg or should I just sell it and use the money elsewhere?

just thinking out loud :)

Well, what other equipment might you need? I certainly wouldn't sell the keg and put the $$ into the "general fund," but if selling the keg got you a good ways towards a pump or a nicer chiller......

I sold one and used the money to get one more corny, but I kick myself for letting it go. they are hard to find in my area.

If you get rid of it you will be helping a fellow brewer. so karma counts.

If you step up to 10 gals. you will need it for a fermenter.

Well, what other equipment might you need? I certainly wouldn't sell the keg and put the $$ into the "general fund," but if selling the keg got you a good ways towards a pump or a nicer chiller......

Well, to be honest I don't really "need" anything at the moment.. That's kinda I tossed it out there to make sure I wasn't missing something.. I've thought about the CFC and Pump route but dunno? My IC does pretty good but if there was anything I could use it would be that. I have a nice little list but with the birthday and Christmas coming up, the wife wants me to save that stuff for her to get me hahah

I have been eye balling the new IDJ3 at BestBuy though ahaha

I sold one and used the money to get one more corny, but I kick myself for letting it go. they are hard to find in my area.

If you get rid of it you will be helping a fellow brewer. so karma counts.

If you step up to 10 gals. you will need it for a fermenter.

Actually I could use another corny or 2, so that may be something good to put it towards. I had been thinking about 10 gallon batches and I "think" if/when I start them, I'd just use two 5 gallon fermenters and maybe try different hops etc etc??

Well, to be honest I don't really "need" anything at the moment.. That's kinda I tossed it out there to make sure I wasn't missing something.. I've thought about the CFC and Pump route but dunno? My IC does pretty good but if there was anything I could use it would be that. I have a nice little list but with the birthday and Christmas coming up, the wife wants me to save that stuff for her to get me hahah

I have been eye balling the new IDJ3 at BestBuy though ahaha

FWIW, I've swapped recently to a CFC and March pump setup, and much prefer it over the old immersion chiller. It's all a matter of personal preference, but that's what I like better! I just run the hose water full-blast through the CFC and recirculate until I get to pitching temps. I can walk away while it's chilling, whereas with the IC I had to stand over it and stir constantly (or it took FOREVER to chill).

Pump does make brewing a lot easier. Glad that I made that upgrade.

FWIW, I've swapped recently to a CFC and March pump setup, and much prefer it over the old immersion chiller. It's all a matter of personal preference, but that's what I like better! I just run the hose water full-blast through the CFC and recirculate until I get to pitching temps. I can walk away while it's chilling, whereas with the IC I had to stand over it and stir constantly (or it took FOREVER to chill).

Pump does make brewing a lot easier. Glad that I made that upgrade.

Thanks for the input! I guess I need to do a little more research on the CFC's and pumps and see what all is involved!

Latest posts

Back