Blichmann HopBlocker with Whole Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10ACbrew

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has tried the Blichmann HopBlocker with whole hops. I was given one for Christmas and after reading the instructions, it was pretty clear this is intended for pellet hops.

I really like using whole hops and would like to know if anyone has tried this device with whole hops and what the outcome was. Additionally, if you have tried it and had success, is there any specific technique required to prevent the whole hops from clogging the strainer and preventing draining of wort? I use a pump to transfer wort to fermenter.

Thanks for your input.

I use whole hops, 12-14 oz. in the boiler. I place the sliding part so it covers the large holes, using only the fine holes of the blocker. I never have blocked the fine screen. The hops surround the blocker and help filter the wort. The slider on mine doesn't fit real tight around the top part of the blocker, some wort flows through the large holes. I have had trouble with blocking when using 10-12 oz. of pellets, with whirlpooling as well as possible with the blocker in place and no hop bag. I use a hop rocket upstream of the plate chiller. Using a lot of pellets, the hops in the hop back would get plugged up. I run off 15-20 gallons of wort. With 5-10 gallon batches it probably wouldn't plug up. I am satisfied with the hop blocker and the hop rocket.

Actually, it works pretty well for whole leaf hops. A buddy of mine has Blichmann gear and he uses simple gravity fed transfers out of his boil kettle through the hop blocker. The only negative I can see on the hop blocker is that it doesn't accommodate an immersion wort chiller very well in the brew pot.

Vlad, Thanks for your input! I will go back to whole hops and try raising the guard throughout entire boil to close off the large holes. I have noticed the guard does want to slide down and will need to be squeezed pretty hard prior to placing on the screen in order to make it stay in place.
Aiptasia, agreed regarding the immersion wort chiller. Same thing with mine. I actually sold my plate chiller a few years ago trying to simplify my system. Wish I had kept it, now.
Thanks!

I personally have had better luck with whole leaf hops than pellets. I always end up with just as much hop material inside the blocker as outside when using pellets, plus the hop blocker makes it more difficult to whirlpool.

Zdbrown, yep, I noticed the blocker alters the whirlpool. I may put it up for sale shortly. Any offers?

Back