four brewpubs in northern michigan.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just last week I went to four brewpubs in Michigan. None of them would let me look at their equipment really. Though North Peak you could see it, and Short's I peaked in.

In order visited

Mackinaw Brewing Company

I had a sampler of about 6 beers I think. It was about $15. The beer was subpar. My favorite was a seasonal wheat beer they had. All the beers lacked body, and taste though. It was the busiest out of the three in Traverse City. But the worst tasting out of all four I visited. The beers were easily forgettable.

North Peak Brewing Company.

The same problem here with the beers, lacked flavor, and body. I would consider this brewery better solely based on the sampler only being $5. Another plus to this brewery is, you can see all the equipment through windows. This was also in Traverse City. I can not think of any of there beers that I liked.

Right Brain Brewery.

This is the third one in Traverse City. It was my second favorite brewpub out of all four. The beers are really creative, hence the name of the brewery. It was $15 for a sampler. The beers had much flavor and body. My favorites were a bourbon stout, and a rye IPA. The others were very good but, it would be hard to drink a pint of them. There was a cherry ale, a basil ale. They were good for a few gulps, but after that it gets a little too much. All in all, this one is definitely worth visiting. I wish I could had seen the brewery though.

Short's Brewing Company

This was easily the best brewpub I visited. It was even recommended by all the breweries and bars I visited earlier. It had the best atmosphere. It is located in Bellaire, Michigan. I do not remember the price of the sampler. All the beers were very tasty. My favorite was a brown ale. I even bought a growler to take home. I was able to peak in the brewery. The one problem is they don't have a broad variety of beers. No stouts were available. They did have lots of beer on taps, around 15 maybe. That would include a wheat beer or a IPA, but three or four different variances of them. Which is fine to compare them.

*The list was the order I visited, and coincidently from worst to best.

Back