Propane Burner Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrightnn

Reaction score
Greetings all,

As I sit here in my garage with the garage door cracked watching over my boiling wort, feeling the 25 degree weather just on the other side of the garage door penetrate my bones, I am facing a frequent and quite annoying problem.

I just bought this bayou classic high pressure burner because my electric stove top just couldn't cut it on brew day. This is its maidan boil. Unfortunately however it continues to experience what I am calling... flame fart, or back flame, or something of the sort.

Essentially, the flame receeds down the venturi tube and starts shooting out where the hose attaches to the air vent. This requires me to turn off the propane to extinguish the problem, and then relight the burner.

I have tried every combination of air vent to propane pressure, and I cannot seem to overcome this problem, except at the lowest possible burner setting. Which in my opinion sort of defeats the entire point of have a kick ass, boil six gallons of water in ten minutes, awesome burner.

Does any one have any ideas how I can make my burner more stable?

Yours, shivering in the garage, sipping on my winter lager, waiting for the boil to end,
-Nate

i had this same problem w/my cheapo burner, it turned out to be the propane tank getting chilled from high volume of gas being burned and a dropping in pressure. this would be exacerbated by low ambient temps. i put my propane tank in a warm bucket of water and solved problem. maybe you have the same problem.

Yep. If the tank is too cold, the gas pressure drops too low.

This might seem obvious, but moving the tank closer to the flame for warmth is a *BAD* idea. Try a hot water bath, or having a second tank kept in a warmer location with which you can swap back and forth.

Thanks guys I will definitely try this on my next boil. Hopefully it's still really cold then! :)

Back