Brown Porter idea ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVKTR2

Reaction score
I'm throwing together a brown porter with 2 options for the grain bill. Help me decide which way to go.

Option 1
6lb Pale Malt
1lb Chocolate Malt 350L
8 oz Flaked Wheat
8 oz Molasses

Option 2
6lb Pale Malt
8 oz Chocolate Malt 350L
8 oz Flaked Wheat
8 oz Molasses
4 oz Black Patent 550L

Hops are going to be
Cluster - 60 min
Cluster - 15
Willammette - 15
Willammette - 0
Willammette - Dry Hop
Total IBUs - 22

OG 1.045
FG 1.012
4.3% abv
30 SRM
Yeast either S-33 or Notty

Option 1 or Option 2

I'm really leaning to option A but wanted some feedback before going forward.

Also if I were to add coco powder in the last few minutes of the boil, how much should I add?

Schlante & Thanks,
Phillip

It seems that 4 to 8 oz of cocoa are what people add - but I don't have any experience. I'll be adding it to a porter in my next brew - so, can you please report back what you choose to do and how the cocoa works or not?

B

Hmmm 4 oz. seems like a lot for a small brown porter, might be just right though! Perhaps when I keg it I'll draw off a gallon and dry hop it with a cocoa slurry.

Any ideas on options 1 or 2???

I am not a fan of molasses in porters. I know a lot of people put it in, but it can be very cloying or overpowering without aging. Depending on how close to style you want this, a good amount of dark crystal malt is always good in a brown porter and lots of late addition hops are not. Take it with a grain of salt though.

I like option 2 best, subbing the molasses for 8oz of crystal 120.

i would go with option 1 with some c60-80

i just brewed a brown porter last month, this was my bill

7.75 lb Pearl Pale Ale Malt
14 oz Pale Chocolate
12 oz Caramel Malt 60L
8 oz Caramel Malt 80L
6 oz Amber Malt
2 oz Roasted Barley
1.2 oz Challenger (7.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.75 oz East Kent Goldings (5.3%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min
.75 oz East Kent Goldings (5.3%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
0.0 ea WYeast 2112 California Lager

nice coffee/chocolate/dark caramel flavor with some biscuit, not much roast at all

OK, one vote apiece for Options 1 & 2... now we're cooking.

As for not having crystal malt I'm generally a big fan of adding crystals or more crystal than most people and mashing low to make it work. However I want the roast character to come through on this one. With S33 being a low attenuator and planning to mash at 153/154 it should be fine with an anticipated FG of 1.012-1.014. I've got some laying around and may throw it in anyway, perhaps some Victory also which I love in most every brew.

As for molasses, I love it, it's great if you don't overdo. It shouldn't be cloying at all as it is all or virtually all consumed by the yeast.

FYI in Option 1 with the lb of choc. malt it makes up 12% of the grist, Option 2 the combined roasted malts make up 9%.

Schlante & Thanks,
Phillip

OK, one vote apiece for Options 1 & 2... now we're cooking.

As for not having crystal malt I'm generally a big fan of adding crystals or more crystal than most people and mashing low to make it work. However I want the roast character to come through on this one. With S33 being a low attenuator and planning to mash at 153/154 it should be fine with an anticipated FG of 1.012-1.014. I've got some laying around and may throw it in anyway, perhaps some Victory also which I love in most every brew.

As for molasses, I love it, it's great if you don't overdo. It shouldn't be cloying at all as it is all or virtually all consumed by the yeast.

FYI in Option 1 with the lb of choc. malt it makes up 12% of the grist, Option 2 the combined roasted malts make up 9%.

Schlante & Thanks,
Phillip

may just want to switch to a normal porter, brown porters are a little sweeter with more crystal than typical porters. my $.02

Back