Concerned I May Have Wild Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbridges01

Reaction score
All - I have in my primary bucket now:

Holiday Ale

Brew date 10/6/2007

3Gals of KGB Wort - Supplied by local brewry
.5 lb Light Belgian Candi Sugar
1lb Golden Light DME
1oz Willamette @ 60
.5 Centenial @ 15
.5oz orange peeel @ 15
5 Ciniamon sticks @ 15
1/2 tsp of njutmeg @15
3 whole crushed all spice @ 15
.5 Centenial @ 5
.5lb golden rasins @ 5
WL California Ale V

SG 1.062 Fermenting temp ~ 68-70 degrees

It fermented hard for about 5 days. Slowed down, and then statred fermenting hard again. I'm still getting bubles about every 25 - 30 seconds out of airlock. Concerned that I might have wild yeast. Anyway to tell prior to bottling. I know I can traste it...but kinda worried,,,

Thanks

I am no expert, but it seems to me that raisins will take longer to ferment out. That could easily explain it. I know it takes longer everytime I use strawberries.

My best suggestion would be to sanitize a measuring cup and scoop a little out and take a gravity reading. If you're still above your target FG, it's probably just fine. Who knows why yeasts do what they do. Chances are, if it's been sealed the whole time, that nothing new has gotten into it, and the amount of yeast generated during the first 5 days of fermentation surely outnumber any amount of wild yeast you might have.

There's always a chance you have some sort of infection, but I'd bet you're just fine. Relax, etc etc.

Plus, there's always the chance you've just found some awesome local Lambic-style strain, and you can harvest it, and make a great holiday beer every year!!

kvh

Back