I Stuck My Whole Arm in the Fermenter ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
Soooo, on my first BIAB try, I did everything pretty close to 100% correct. It is a Chocolate Stout, tasted great right after the boil. A much more gratifying experience than my two previous extract brews. Anyway, I have everything ready to go, take a gravity reading in the fermenter (1.055), and go grab the lid. After I seal it up, I push the rubber grommet all the way through the plastic lid with with air lock!!! Now, I freak out about what to do ... so I find an extra lid and find that it is also missing the little rubber grommet. I then try to fish it out with my long metal spoon, but obviously this turns out to be futile. I then proceed to wash my arm and sanitize it with the star-san spray bottle I had prepared. I was able to fish it out pretty quickly. This was a week and a half ago and now I am getting close to taking a gravity reading. I dont want to open the lid and find it contaminated. Has anyone had this problem before??? Am I screwed or should I have nothing to worry about? :mug:

Could you have infected it? Of course. Does it seem likely with the precautions you took? Probably not, but there will only be one way to find out.

Ive done that before and my beer turned out great.

Replica batches that didn't include my arm hair didn't turn out nearly as well.

You just made liquid gold!

Good chance you'll be fine this time.

But in the future, not having a grommet in your airlock port for half a day is less chance-y than counting on star-san to sanitize every nook and cranny in the skin on your hand and arm. I had the same thing happen to me, and I just left the airlock in there loose until I could replace the grommet.

And FYI, Home Despot and most other hardware stores will have those grommets with the nuts and bolts.

I have done this with, at least, 3 beers. I have not yet had an issue. That is not to say, I won't, ever. But I'd relax, and see how the beer turns out, if it were me. :)

Mike

I did this once. My fermenter has a tap at the bottom, but it was leaking around the seal. The nut to tighten is on the inside, at the bottom.

So, I washed my arm, sterilised it, then quickly grabbed the nut and tightened it.

I don't recall which batch this was done to, but I've never had a bad batch, so I obviously got away with it (that one time). Naturally I check the nut carefully every time now.

New to this great hobby.

Glad to read that you stuck your arm in. My first batch was siphoning so slowly that I took a glass, washed and sanitized it and my hand and dipped the glass into the priming pot and then poured the beer through a funnel and into my bottles to condition. One more week of conditioning before drinking.

Back