what'd I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemist308

Reaction score
Today I brewed my 2nd AG. Was going to follow a Bass clone recipe but I didn't have everything I needed--specifically the hops it called for, and the 60L crystal malt. So at best, this was inspired by the clone recipe, but really I didn't follow it at all, past the base malt and mash. So, here's what I brewed:

9# english 2 row (marris otter)
1# 40L crystal malt,
Mashed 90 min at 150 degrees, sparged twice at 170 degrees
1oz Kent Goldings, pellet forms in a muslin hop sock (start of boil)
1oz Fuggles, flower form, added loose--no sock (last couple minutes of boil)
Then removed Kent Goldings sock cooled and dumped whole thing, without straining the Fuggles, onto Wyeast 1098 Brit Ale yeast

OG: 1.052

So, any clue what this should turn out like? Obviously it's an ale. Would this be a British Ale?

Yes, it will be a British Ale. The 40L crystal instead of 55L will make it a little lighter in color, but not enough to worry about. If you have to use Fuggles and Goldings in an EPA, I'd use the Goldings for the late additions. It will be much truer to style than the Special Bitter I brewed today which used Halletauer, Willamette, and Fuggles, instead of Goldings, Goldings, and Goldings.

-a.

Back