Maris Otter + American Hops...tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
I don't have enough imagination to guess whether they would mesh. I love me some Maris Otter malt and I love me some Simcoe, Cascade, etc. Has anybody tried using Maris Otter as a base malt but used good citrusy American hops? Just wondering if it would work.

Maris Otter gives a little more malty/nutty flavor to the beer. I personally prefer MO to US 2 Row.

I believe you can substitute Maris Otter using 95% 2-row and 5% crystal 10. So there isn't that much difference, especially if you are using crystal/caramel in addition to Maris Otter. That being said, I think Brew Dog Punk IPA is 100% Maris Otter + American hops.

I have an IPA that was made with Maris Otter and Amarillo Hops... it's been in the bottle about a week, but the sampling I had on bottling day made me believe this is going to be one of my best batches yet.

I just used MO for the first time yesterday, with cascade and columbus. Along with some victory and munich malt. An experiment for sure so hopefully it turns out well.

Maris Otter goes great with some munich. My pale ale recipe is MO, munich and whatever American hop I have on hand at the time. I rarely use 2-Row anymore because I get my MO in a bulk grain buy so cheap.

I have a great MO/Centennial in bottles right now. It's outstanding and I'm sure it'd be great with any of the hops mentioned above. Go for it!

I've been thinking a lot lately of brewing my house IPA with MO instead of 2 row. I think it would be great with the 1332 yeast and the Magnum, Cascade, Centennial and Citra.

Back