Grain / hop shelf life??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentpirate

Reaction score
A friend was helping me out and picked up a boat load of items off Craig's list (bottles and such). He also brought over about 6 bags of uncrushed grains that appear to be blended kits (Irish Red, Nut Brown, German Alt). The best we figure they are 2 years old. He saw that they were stored in a back bed room in the house, the bags are in good shape - no tears etc.
The question is; 2 years too old? Should I simply go for it since they were free any how? I was leaning to just try it since it didn't spend anything to begin with but does anyone have experience that would say different?
Along with the grains, he brought over a trash bag full of hops, 2008 season. The leafs were frozen and vaccumm sealed, the pellets were the same. I was thinking we lost a bit of AA%; but again, paying next to nothing I could just make a ton of SMASH beers, experiment - again, unless it is thought that 2 year old hops are funked.... Any guidence would be appreciated.

I'd try some of the grain since it sounds like it was sealed ok.

For the hops, open a package and smell some, see if they are "green enough" in color. If they seem alright, keep them in the freezer and they should be fine. I get the impression keeping them very cold is more important than a tight seal, but a tight seal would obviously prevent oxygen getting in. Cold will vastly slow down the oxidation process. Use some in your test batch of the grain above and judge if the bitterness and flavor came to the level you expected or if they might be old enough to compensate by adding a little more next time around, assuming it tastes fine.

If the hops are old and cheezy, use or offer them up for styles that want that like lambics I think?

+1 to the above suggestions. The hops will have lost some of their AA, but how much depends on the hop variety and how cold they were stored. Cascade for example are a low stability hop, losing more AA than average. In a vacuum sealed package stored in a freezer 5.5%AA Cascade would age like this:
2mo - 5.28%
12mo - 4.29%
18mo - 3.79%
24mo - 3.35%
36mo- 2.61%

Latest posts

Back