Batch Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed in a hundred other threads but I want to know specifically,everyone's procedure for this.After mash-out I add approx. 3.5 gals 175 degree water,stir well and slowly drain(about 1 hr.).I don't(haven't) vorlauf these runnings but I do with my mash runnings.Does anyone else do it like this?
I'm getting fair(70-75%) effic. this way.So my HBT friends,what do you do?
Thanks and Happy Holidays.
Cheers:mug:

There's no need to drain slow with batch sparging, only with fly sparging. The mechanics of batch sparging are such that you can just open the valve and let it rip, and then sit back and watch the fly spargers.

In terms of volumes it depends on how much grain I use and how much wort I'm collecting. I try to collect two equal batches (in volume).

What you're describing sounds like "no sparge" to me, which is essentially one big batch.

Baron von BeeGee said:
There's no need to drain slow with batch sparging, only with fly sparging. .

I used to be able to do that, but now I found that I will have to restrict the flow a little otherwise I will set the grainbed to much and the sparge will get stuck. But I still drain within 10-15 min.

Kai

Kaiser said:
I used to be able to do that, but now I found that I will have to restrict the flow a little otherwise I will set the grainbed to much and the sparge will get stuck. But I still drain within 10-15 min.

Kai
I guess I should say that I start to open the valve pretty slowly just to get things going, but after collecting a couple of quarts I'm able to open it wide open without setting my grainbed. It may have something to do with the design of my manifold which I hadn't considered.

Baron,

I used to be able to do what you did when I milled my grain at the AB store in Raleigh. Now, even with conditioning the malt, I can't do this anymore. Maybe I'm just milling my grain finer since I now get 80+% efficiencies.

Kai

I vorlauf both runnings and drain slowly at first and then open the valve all the way. I'm getting about 75% effeciency.

Latest posts

Back