Need help troubleshooting a beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I brewed the NB AG oatmeal stout kit. I do AG biab on the stove top so i half the kit by hand mixing the pre crushed grains and weighing it out on a scale, its not ideal i know but im still learning. My og was 1.048 and my fg was 1.016. Tried a beer a week from week one and I'm on week three in the bottle. At first i thought the taste i found odd was a "green" taste but it still tastes the
same. I don't have the best palette but what im getting is a overly sweet watered down taste with a over sweet smell. Its not a bad taste but its not a beer i will even give a friend.

Thanks!

1.How long did you age the beer before you bottled?
2.What temp did you mash at and for how long?
3. What OG were you shooting for?

Three weeks primary

Mash at 152

Target according to nb instructions was 1042 if i recall correctly

Give the beer another 6 weeks in the bottle and try it again. Dark beers take some time to mature and I think your just isn't ready to drink yet.

While you are waiting for this one, brew up a pale ale or a wheat beer. It will be ready to drink before your oatmeal stout even with this late of a start.

The possible sweet smell could possibly be from overshooting your OG. Since you got a slightly higher extraction rate then the kit originally called for that means there was more sugar in your beer for the yeast to consume and turn into alcohol and alcohol is sweet. Unless you adjusted the bittering hops to account for the higher OG then originally called for, then your beer may be slightly sweeter, but just slightly.

152 is a OK, but can be considered a degree or two low for an oatmeal stout. A higher mash temp will produce longer chain sugars which are more unfermentable then shorter chain sugars. So for an Oatmeal stout, next time try a higher mash temp to boost the amount of longer chain sugars, because they are what help add body to the beer. The Oats help add body to the beer as well but if the mash temp is too low, I found that the body can still be on the thin side.

I agree, give it more time and let it come together more in the bottle. Let me know how it tastes in a few weeks!

Not so good, still the same taste. I pitched another stout on top of the yeast cake and it has a similar taste but not nearly as strong. I think it was the yeast and it was that it was under pitched because i messed up the smack pack.

Back