Arrogant Bastard Inspired Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am going to brew something along the lines of Arrogant Bastard, but I am wondering about some substitutions.

I have WLP007 on hand, but I have nice big starter of Wyeast 1275 (Thames Valleye) ready to go so I am going to use that.

I will mash at 149 since 1275 isn't as attenuative as WLP007. This should help

Hopwise, I have no chinook so I am wondering what to substitute?

Galena, Nugget, Northern Brewer, Centennial....etc..etc.. I am thinking nugget.

Proposed recipe 11 gallons :

24 pounds pale malt
2.5 pounds C150
2 oz nugget at 60
2 oz nugget at 40
2 oz nugget at 3
2 oz nugget dry hop
mash at 149
WY1275 at 70 degrees
OG = 1.070
FG = 1.012..ish

I think the yeast substitute will work out especially well....just not sure on hops. I a ton of hops, just no chinook.

It will/should make a nice beer...just won't be AB. But who cares? Right? Not a big fan of that much nugget. But maybe your one of that group that loves it. :mug:

It will/should make a nice beer...just won't be AB. But who cares? Right? Not a big fan of that much nugget. But maybe your one of that group that loves it. :mug:

I could go with a blend of cascade, columbus and nugget instead? I think that should create a flavor profile similar to chinook!?

I brewed this up

11 gallons

24 pounds pale
3 pounds C150
.5 oz nugget
.5 oz cascade
.5 oz calypso at FWH
1.5 oz nugget at 60
1.5 oz nugget at 30
1 oz nugget @15
1 oz calypso @15
1 oz cascade @15
1 oz nugget @1
1 oz calypso @1
1 oz cascade @1
15 minute flameout steep before enaging chiller
mashed at 151 for 120 minutes
Wyeast 1275
Starter size = 1 gallon
OG = 1.066
FG = hopefully 1.012-1.013
ABV - 7.1 to 7.2
IBU - 80 or so...
full blown fermentation after 12 hours lag time (thank you starter!)

This should be plenty arrogant! I am hoping the combination of hops somewhat replicates chinook

Should I dry hop?

Looks good. As far as dry hopping, that's a personal choice. I would give it a taste after a couple of weeks and see. Lately, I've become addicted to kegging my beers and then dropping in a tea ball full of hops a couple of days before I tap the keg. Yummy.

All of the AB clones I have seen use Chinook only. I brewed one a month ago and it's tasty.

Looks good. As far as dry hopping, that's a personal choice. I would give it a taste after a couple of weeks and see. Lately, I've become addicted to kegging my beers and then dropping in a tea ball full of hops a couple of days before I tap the keg. Yummy.

I like to use whole cone hops in the kegs.....but in a paint strainer bag to contain them.

I wonder if a nice shot of centennial would be a great dry hop for this one.

After 1 week I am at 1.012 down from 1.066. This is exactly %7.1 ABV. The color is spot on for Arrogant Bastard as is the bitterness. I had my first AB (the commercial version) this Saturday, and the hop flavor/aroma was very underwhelming, but the dryness and bitterness was awesome. I think this brew will be perfect.

of course I just tossed 1.5 oz nugget and 1.5 oz cascade in the fermenter for the dry hop. I will dry hop for another week at fermentation temperatures then i will cold crash and add gelatin to clear.

Then I am throwing an "Arrogant Bastard" party. Put both kegs on tap and everybody has to act arrogant.

I am drinking keg #1 right now. I threw 1 oz chinook and 1 oz amarillo into the keg for dry hops. The dry hops turned my beer from crystal clear, to beautifully hazed. The beer is very arrogant! Crazy aroma and bitterness, suprisingly drinkable due to the dry finish. Awesome brew....needs a little time for the dry hop to smooth out. A little onion I am detecting from the amarillo...should be all citrus in a week or two.

So we are talking 5 oz of dry hops.......its more of an imperial brown IPA at this point.....but man is it good. BETTER than AB>

Back