Too Much One Step

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I have been using One-Step as my cleaner for my last few brews. It seems that I need to use a lot though. For example, I rinse my primary with hot water and use the soft side of the sponge to get off all the noticeable trub then add 6 tbsp. of One-Step and warm water to top of my primary. I pour it out after an hour or so. On the next brew day, I use Star-San as a sanitizer, drain a add cool wort. Am I one the right track? Is my primary even clean using One-Step? Am I using too much One-Step?

Um, one step is not NORMALLY used as a cleaner in brewing, it is used as a sanitizer and it is a pretty poor one anyway.

But to clean your gear a lot of folks use a brewery product called PBW (Proffessional brewer's wash) but many more of us these days use unscented oxyclean or one of the generic versions of it. No scrubbing required, let the bubble do the work. And rinse thoroughly.

SInce you are already using starsan to sanitize then I guess you can for now use the onestep to clean (since technically it is closer to a cleanser that an fda approved sanitizer like starsan and iodophor.) so you might as well use it up, but after words go to oxyclean, you will get better results.

One step is substantially identical to oxygen clean. Both are markedly inferior to PBw or even unscented dishwasher detergent as these include a surfactant and chelating agent.

Back