drying equipment etc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uwmgdman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, another new comer question:

After siphoning from primary to secondary, I cleaned (with hot water) my siphoning equipement (eg. siphon tubon and my auto-siphon). I left it on some paper towels to dry, but noticed the insides of the tubes take some time to dry. Do I need to dry these by hand at all?

And I didn't use any sanitizing solution (I use One-Step) after I was done siphoning , just cleaned the equipment since I will be sanitizing them (w/ One-Step) before I use them next time. Is this approach a good one to go with, or should I be sanitizing after I clean and sanitizing again before use? Thanks again for the input.

Justin
:mug:

I use a clean plastic trash barrel fro my sanitizer. It's left 1/2 full, with it's cover on, while I brew, and for several days after. I hose off my stuff, and rinse/soak/syphon with the solution. I make a new batch on bottling day, then hose/soak/syphon before storage.

Hot tap water IS clean, it is treated, then held at 140 degrees in the water heater, so your stuff is clean enough for storage. Possible water spots from minerals, but they should be sterile minerals...

Clean before storage, and sanitize before use.

uwmgdman said:
And I didn't use any sanitizing solution (I use One-Step) after I was done siphoning , just cleaned the equipment since I will be sanitizing them (w/ One-Step) before I use them next time. Is this approach a good one to go with, or should I be sanitizing after I clean and sanitizing again before use?
No need to sanitize before storing...just sanitize just before you use them.

Just a heads up tho...One-Step is (legally speaking) not a sanitizer. It was originally marketed as a cleaner/sanitizer (hence the name), and many people still use it that way, but since it's release the company has backed off on their claims that it can be used as a sanitizer, and it is no longer marketed as such.

Back