Problems between pasteurization and adding yeast for my cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanayna

Reaction score
Hi all-
In our first attempt at making cider, my boyfriend and I may have made a bonehead mistake. We pressed fresh apples and have 5 gallons of cider. Two gallons at a time, we heated the cider below medium heat for about 40 minutes per batch to kill off any wild yeast. While the first 2-gallon batch was cooling back to room temp, we sanitized our bucket and lid per the instructions of the sanitizer. Once cooled, the first 2-gallons went into the newly-sanitized bucket. The next morning, we pasteurized a second batch and the last gallon the day after so that each batch could cool to room temperature.

We haven't adde any yeast, yeast nutrient, or sugar solution, yet the cider is producing a tan foam and it smells like it's on its way to making hard cider on its own. Did we not sufficiently pasteurize it? Could it be from new bacteria that somehow entered the bucket despite having a lid on without the airlock in place?

Just wondering what to do from here. Do we add our yeast and let it duke it out with whatever is currenty in our cider? I appreciate any help! Would hate to have irreversibly messed up this 5 gallons of awesome, organic cider that we pressed.

We tried the same thing last yearcwith 10G of wonderful freshly-pressed VT cider...we pasturized, but planned to pitch the next day ...too late, I thought, bec something else was fermenting in the basement ...I thought the worst, but stuck with the plan.

Long story short, I pitched a starter of WLP775, and 1 year later (now), it is delicious...I am driking too much of it !!

So go ahead and pitch the yeast, but be patient .. those yeast know what to do !

Latest posts

Back