Nugget Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I bought a pound of nugget hops on a whim........

I know I can bitter IPA's and other strong ales with these hops, but how is the aroma and flavor? Does anybody have any nugget-centric recipes to share? I think "nugget nectar" is decieving......nugget for bittering and not much else

i like the flavor and smell of nugget. there's a brewery by me that makes a cask conditioned nugget pale ale made just with nugget and its awesome. I think if you do an ipa with some nugget, centennial, and/or columbus it would be a good combo. do some hopbursting with the nugget to bring out the flavor and aroma

Great all around, im a bigger fan of this hop than alot of other hops. I made an all nugget pale ale,loved it.Although im shure it would blend well with others.

I have a few nugget plants and plenty of nugget hops, so I try to use them often. Besides bittering, I like to throw some in at flame out with citrus hops (Cascade/Centennial) for my pales. Adds a little earthy, herbal character which plays off the citrus nicely. I get a similar effect from Chinook as a flame out addition.

A buddy has an all-Nugget pale which he swears by... will have to try brewing that soon!
--LexusChris

Nugget is my go to hop for pale ales and IPAs that I dont want the characteristic 'west coast' citrus that you usually get with the C hops. I have a nugget nectar clone that is pretty awesome and a good way to burn through 3/4 lb of nugget (I dont think its extremely close to the real thing, because I seem to agree with you that they dont use much Nugget other than bittering, but I like the funk/spiciness I get with the late and dry hop additions).

Note that this is 10 gallons no chill. I usually like to add the 0 minute hops after a few hours of cooling, gives it better aroma.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Nugget Nectar 2012
Brewer: Kevin
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) FWH and No chill. Ended up around 1.021, a tad sweet. The bitterness is affected by the malt forward taste. If it would have come down further I think the bitterness would have really shined through.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.80 gal
Estimated OG: 1.077 SG
Estimated Color: 8.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 100.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 45 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.90 %
10.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 33.90 %
4.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 13.56 %
4.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 13.56 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 1.69 %
3.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
3.00 oz Nugget [15.10 %] (45 min) (First Wort HopHops 68.8 IBU
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [16.10 %] (15 min) Hops 24.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
2.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.3 IBU
2.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 3.39 %
2 Pkgs US-S05 Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 28.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
45 min Mash In Add 35.63 qt of water at 169.1 F 150.0 F

I like nugget for this reason too because i seem to have a lot of hops with a same citrus character and sometimes i cant even tell the difference between them im not talking just the c-hops either.

Back