Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex_wilkosz

Reaction score
Im looking to do a Pumpkin Ale to go along with the fall theme. Im lookin to see if anyone has a good recipe with a good ingredient list that has direction into brewing it as ive never done a pumpkin ale....most notably what kind of pumpkin to use and how to do it? canned? fresh and then baked in oven and steeped with grains?

By the way im lookin to start this this weekend so any help would be great!

Thanx

Yuri has a good one. Thunderstruck.

Use Libbys canned pumpkin. easiest and it pure pumpkin. I know that some of the other guys around here have used canned pumpkin then roasted and carmelized it in the over for a while.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP002 English Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes - at least 1L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.015
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
IBU: 32.1
Color: 14.3
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 - rack off of trub to clear

EDIT: This recipe has been changed to reflect improvements over the years. The original recipe was way too aggressively hopped.

Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale

6.25 lbs light DME
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
8.0 oz Biscuit Malt
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked
60.00 oz Pumpkin, Canned (Boil 60.0 min)
.75 oz Goldings (5.0% AA) 13 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) or Fermentis S-04

Spread the pumpkin on a cookie sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees F before adding to the brew.

Steep the grains for 20-30 minutes at about 155°F.

During clearing stage, add a spice tea of 1-1/2 tsp "Pumpkin Pie Spice" or Pampered Chef "Cinnamon Plus." Steep spices in 1 cup hot water for 10-15 minutes, cool then add. Consider adding the spice tea a little at a time to achieve the desired flavor profile.

There will be several inches of trub almost regardless of how you try to contain the pumpkin. Your yield may be slightly less than 5 gallons.

couple of clarification questions if i do this:

1. what is biscuit malt?
2. what type of DME?
3. Where can i get Goldings Hops?
4. Is the yeast a liquid? because I have never brewed with anything but liquid

1. what is biscuit malt?

A specialty grain. Your HBS should be able to get it.

2. what type of DME?

Light.

3. Where can i get Goldings Hops?

NORTHERN BREWER: Hop Pellets

4. Is the yeast a liquid? because I have never brewed with anything but liquid

White Labs WLP002 is liquid yeast from a vial.

Yuri - your amazing. yeast starter i am confused on as i usually use on that u smack can u help me out here? and what type of light DME..i look at Northern Brewr (whom i usually use and they have so many types) and my malts easier crushed or not?

al, remember me talking about htat stir plate that I was building and is now running strong... that is what i am using to make a yeast starter... It is basically giving the yeast a small amount of wort so that it can multiply and get going so that when you pitch to your fermenter it is healthier and wont take as long to multiply. Like I said, I am using a stir plate for this as it keeps the yeast in suspension and airates more. Both these things help to ensure a hearty batch of yeast to ferment with. I have a few extra things from my build... if you want we can throw something together for you when I come down.

Friend of mine used whole pumpkin in his recipe....

Cut "pie" pumpkin into cubes (skin still on) and baked at350*F with spices till a mush like pie. Then he pulled out the skins, toasted them.

Put pie mush in with steep, and put toasted pumpkin skins in with hops in boil.

Back