WLP002 vs S04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoungrad

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a session ale with an OG of 1.035-1.040, my smallest batch to date. I was originally planning on US05 because I wanted something neutral. But, I'm afraid of leaving myself with a batch with no body and a FG of 1.005. So, I'm looking to use a yeast with less attenuation. My first thought was to use SO4. So far, I have used this only once. It was with an IIPA which worked well but gave me too much fruity ester despite fermentation at 65 degrees.

Has anyone found that SO4 has limited esters if fermented lower than 65? The range goes down to 59 according to Fermentis.

How about WLP002 as another option? The only issue with this is that I'm trying to make this an easy house beer so adding a starter to brewing the batch would be suboptimal. But, according to Mr. Malty, a starter is BARELY needed with yeast produced two months earlier. So, I could even try it with liquid yeast and no starter.

Any other thoughts?

Agreed. I guess I was thinking good dry yeast with a lower attenuation and was willing to accept some esters.

What about WLP008 or 009 or even wyeast 1450?

are you doing all grain or extract? got a recipe yet? you can try to keep the unfermentables a little higher too keep it from getting to thin

All grain. Planning 0.5 pounds of carapils in the mix. Maybe that and mashing at 154 will be enough, even with US05. I'm just wary because of the low OG.

I would agree with 944. I love S-04 but it attenuates really well. If you want more body perhaps mash a little higher? That'll keep some of the chewiness of the beer intact and keep the S-04 from busting through it.

Back