Little Experience, Good brew to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyerStraights

Reaction score
I've brewed one batch so far. An IPA that is still in the secondary actually.

Any recommendations on what to try next?

Want to try an easy(I'm not likely to ruin it) brew that will appeal to a wide range of people. Nobody else in my family likes real hoppy or bitter beers. So, what should I try next?

I would look at some Amber recipes. I think any good Ale House should have a good Pale Ale, a good Amber, and a good IPA.
Your on the right track, but I would suggest brewing to your taste. Others will follow!

I brewed several Kolsch and Blonde Ales...those seem to always be hits with the friends

I like hoppy beers, but I make some malty ones for my spouse, who isn't a hophead. The Dead Guy clone I posted is pretty good, and it's definitely not difficult at all. It was one of my first recipes, and I still like to make it.

I made the Alaskan amber clone that's in the recipes section and I am enjoying it. I normally do All Grain but it was an extract and I will definitely be brewing it again. My wife likes it to, its not for everybody but it will appeal to a wider audience than an IPA.

My suggestion for your third batch would be the same recipe as your first. See if you can duplicate the results.

I'm a fan of Belgian Wit, but my favorites have been with a standard ale yeast, not the Belgian strain. Although we could start a discussion on how it's not a true Belgian, it will work.

It might be a bit harder to do but only because you add orange zest and coriander, and it's really no more difficult than any other beer.

Wait, is this extract, or All Grain? Makes a difference.

Also, I'm seriously thinking about doing a Kolsch for my next batch, for the same reasons. I tried one the other day and really liked it. Normally I prefer hoppier beers, but this one was good. It might be light enough in flavor for my friends to like too. Of course I'd never brew it if I didn't like it, but I think it will end up being good for spring/summer.

A cream ale has gotten a lot of attention from people wanting to brew for the normal people. Also, there is a popular Blonde recipe floating around same thing.

A mild would be a good opposite. It's malty. If none of you like it you havn't wasted a ton of cash on ingredients. It's surprising how many people like mild when they eventually try it.

Yes, but some people might look at a mild and see that it's color is dark (for them) and instantly be turned off. Now, we all know that color is not necessarily an inidicator of bitter, malt, or burnt flavor, but to a lot of people, if it's darker than Bells Oberon, it's not going to taste good.

Yes, but some people might look at a mild and see that it's color is dark (for them) and instantly be turned off. Now, we all know that color is not necessarily an inidicator of bitter, malt, or burnt flavor, but to a lot of people, if it's darker than Bells Oberon, it's not going to taste good.

Bob (NQ3X) informed me that there are even pale milds! Like ordinary bitters with little to no hop presence. I learned me something new. :D

Yeah, but if the flavor is right, turning them on to a dark(er) beer might open doors.

And that's the point, right?

Well, I think most women tend to like malty rather than hoppy, and they are more open to trying a darker beer. In the homebrewing game it is important to win the women over to your side before doing whatever the hell you want with your beer. ;)

Edit: you also get to tell them it's low ABV so you look more like a dedicated brewer rather than an alcoholic......It's all brownie points :)

Some good ideas. This will need to be an extract kit for now. Whats everyones favorite to order from?

I got my starter kit and first ingredient kit from Kennywood because he is local. But, he has a very limited extract kit selection.

I'll toss my hat into the ring for Stout. It is easy, forgiving and, believe it or not, usually low calorie (for the laydeeees...;)). And, IMHO, it is nice to sip in Winter.
:mug:

Im in the same boat. I was thinking a calfornia common (steam ale). Not so bitter as an amber ale.

Yeah, but if the flavor is right, turning them on to a dark(er) beer might open doors.

And that's the point, right?

Well, that's my point. Some people won't be able to give it a fair chance if they see it first, regardless of how it looks. Their eyes have already tasted it before their mouths can.

Some day I'm going to do a blind taste study with some friends and see how they perceive different styles.

You can tell them all day long that darker isn't always more bitter, or stronger-tasting than some lighter styles, but they can't get past it.

It's like eating dried grasshoppers. Lots of people in the world do it, but most people in our culture would gag at the thought.

Back