Blow off removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martink49

Reaction score
I am brewing a Trappist Ale and was advised to use a blow off tube. Some Krausen did make its way into the tube, so I'm glad I took that advice. It's been in the primary for 3 days now and it bubbles roughly every 6 or 7 seconds. When should I switch the blow off tube to a standard airlock?

On all my brews I leave the blow off on for the first week. Took it off one time after 3 days....regretted it. It won't hurt a thing to leave it on. It's just a big, ugly airlock at this point that you could leave be for the duration of the fermentation if you want.

As long as you got a good sanitizer/alcohol/bleach water at the other end of the blowoff, it can stay as long as you want. The tube is full of CO2 and everything inside the tube came from the beer. It won't hurt a thing to just leave it on. I usually leave mine on until its done or I need to move it.

Back