Propane ran out mid-brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gridlocked

Reaction score
I'm not concerned about the viability of the beer, I'm just wondering about the chemistry and what may result...

I was 45 minutes into a 60 minute boil on Sunday when my flame started to shrink and the life of my propane tank ended. I quickly threw the cover most of the way on to my brew kettle and ran to the gas station to pick up another 20lb propane tank. The temp dropped to about 200f before I could get it the flame back under the pot. During this flame-out I decided it was a good time to add the final few lbs of LME ;) I boiled for another 10 minutes, dumped in the last few hop additions and called it good.

I noticed what looked to be some break or sediment as the boil started again, but I thought it was still way to warm to be cold break...

Those of you that have a better grasp of chemistry - thoughts on this? Has this happened to any of you? If so, what was the result?

2010-03-21181649.jpg

Ha. I was using my spare (the tank stolen off of the grill). My brewing tank, which is full, was in the back of a buddy's truck along with all the rest of my ice fishing stuff from our last outing.

Back