transporting carb'd keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icu812

Reaction score
I'am going camping and keg is going to be in car for about 4 hours . Should I leave gas on or off for the drive? and should I be purging? Also, the keg has been cold and on gas for about 2 months, So should I try and keep it cold for the 4 hour drive? I'am going to bring co2 tank and a cobra setup.:mug:

I would leave it off gas for the trip. Don't purge and keep it cold. Get it settled first thing when you arrive and when you are ready to serve, purge it, then connect gas at 5 psi to serve.

Life will be good.

Speaking as one who has brought many kegs of homebrew to many parties, I can say that Ed is right on the money here!

The only thing I'd add, is to suggest that you get the keg delivered and put in place as early as possible. Travelling and handling will stir up what little sediment is in the bottom of the keg, and you want to give it a chance to settle again. Otherwise you might be serving cloudy beers for awhile.

Tonedef131 said:
You have had a keg with beer in it for 2 months...unbelievable.

I was thinking the same thing. The longest I've ever had a keg last was 3 weeks.

I have taken kegs with me for 1 hour drives and just put it in an oversized drywall bucket (it's taller than the normal kind, almost same height as keg, not sure of it's origins) then surrounded with ice. I strapped that in place in the vehicle so it wouldn't tip (and put on towel for condensation).

Gas was unhooked.

When I arrived I moved bucket to location, let it sit for 30 minutes, then re-attached tank and serving nozzle and it was fine.

ohiobrewtus said:
I was thinking the same thing. The longest I've ever had a keg last was 3 weeks.

I've got two untapped kegs with beer that I brewed last November. I did a flurry of brewing that month, to get the pipeline full.

Patience grasshopper!

Back