Bottles and CO2 Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RHeastings

Reaction score
I am considering moving from traditional bottle conditioning with corn sugar to an artificial forced CO2 system with kegs. My question is whether this would allow me to use standard American bottles for beers that would require higher volumes of CO2 (think Belgian Golden Strong types). Would carbonating with kegs and then bottling allow me to use these bottles, or would they still explode? Many thanks!

Belgian Gold Strong ales range in carbonation from 2.3-2.9 (according to BeerSmith). This level is well within the range of typical bottles. Check out BierMuncher's "we don't need no stinking beer gun" thread for his design for a homemade counter-pressure bottle filler". This is very useful in filling bottles from kegs.

Belgian Gold Strong ales range in carbonation from 2.3-2.9 (according to BeerSmith). This level is well within the range of typical bottles. Check out BierMuncher's "we don't need no stinking beer gun" thread for his design for a homemade counter-pressure bottle filler". This is very useful in filling bottles from kegs.
I'm confused. I just read this in the book Brew LIke a Monk: "the Double [is carbonated at] 2.4 because the 12-ounce bottles are not rated to hold higher volumes safely." Zainasheff suggests carbonating Belgian Dubbles from 3-4.
We have three kinds of bottles:
12 oz glass (reused from store bought beer)
17 oz PET
22 oz glass bottles

Does anyone know the suggested safety limits for each type?

Back