Hello From New Zealand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasnz

Reaction score
Hi Guys and galls.

Glenn Here from New Zealand. I have just been busy building a box and lining it with 1.5 inch polysteryne and have just laid my first brew down. It is winter here at the moment and the outside temp is fluctuating between 0 - 15 celcius so thought the chilli box idea might help with the consistency in Temp. I am also running a warming pad underneath the brew and so far it has been going for about 5 hours and is sitting on 26deg Celsius.

Question: If the brew maintains this temp for the next 7 days or so do you guys think it should have done its first flementation cycle? yes i will do a hydrometer reading but the chap at the brew shop reckoned 12 - 14 days

I have done a hydrometer test today when i laid the brew and it read 1.34 and I think I am already addicted to this hobby and havn't even got anything in the bottles yet, Lol

Anyway just wanted to say hi and let you guys know what a great forum this is.

Cheers:D

Hi Glenn. Primary fermentation should actually be finished in the first 3-4 days, then the fermenter should be allowed sit for anywhere between a further 1-2 weeks. this time will allow the yeast to clean up after itself.

In terms of the temperature, 26c is very high, what type of beer are you brewing. If it is an ale then it should be down around the 20c mark.

Also 1034 is a pretty low OG, what original gravity were you aiming for?

Hi halite

Yea from what i have been reading I thought the temp might be to high as well, hence the question about a aquatic heater with a thermostate. The problem i think I have is this insulating box i built is working too damn good, Lol. The heating pad is meant to sit in the 22-24c range. I will check it again tomorrow morning and in the evening and report back.

The beer kit was a premium draught and I will have to check the Og tomorrow.

I Must say I think this is going to be one fascinating hobby.

Hi Glenn, welcome!

I put my fermenter in a old (no longer working) freezer, and I have a cut-down electric blanket I use to keep it warm. However, I susally leave it on at night and off during the day. I haven't done any brewing over the last couple of months and now it's getting (slightly) warmer I'm just going to do some without any heat at all. The generic yeast that I guess you are using is pretty hardy. I've got some beers I bottled and just left in the garage and they've carbed up nicely, so I figure that the temperature out there will be fine for a brew.

What area are you in?

Welcome Glenn

All I really have to contribute is that I love New Zealand. What a beautiful place and just simply amazing people. Good luck with the new addiction.

Hi Styles and oldyote

Thanks for the welcome.

Styles, I live in Auckland, its a bit wet here at the moment but we have had some really heavy frosts here not long ago. A little out of character for us thats why i decided to creat the insulated box. The brew has now gone up to 28c and i have turned the heater pad off. Still no sign of bubling yet... is this anything to worry about, I know the lid is on properly and all the fittings are sealed and the airlock has water in it.

The brew sits directly on the pad now, If i was to raise it just off the pad with some wood do you guys think that it will help reduce the temp to a more favourable temp?

Cheers

I live in Papakura, and hell yeah, the week before last was frosty as! Made it worse that I'd just come back from Vanuatu!
Don't stress too much about the time it's taking to start, it can sometimes take a couple of days. Do a hydro test in the weekend if you still haven't seen any action. Is the lid to your fermenter clear or opaque?
I'd probably just leave the heater off at this point, and check on the temp occasionally. I'm honestly nowhere near as concerned about keeping it warm nowdays. More the opposite in fact.

If the pad is off and the temperature continues to rise, the yeast are doing their job. Fermentation produces a lot of heat.

Back