I hate asking this here but here it goes....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
A co worker has asked me if I could make him some Ripple wine, I have no Idea what Ripple wine is but this guy doesnt drink the finest so does anyone know what Ripple is made with and what exactly is it? I do remember that Fred Sanford drank it on the TV series but I thought it was more of a joke than a real drink

It was made by Gallo, I think, a fortified grape wine. I bet if you made a batch of 14% concord, fortified to 17% and backsweetened to at least 1.006, maybe 1.010 you would be successful. Easy to make, grab a gallon of Concord or 3-4 frozen concentrates, sugar to hit target SG and off you go (after adding nutrient, tannin, pectic enzyme, etc). Hit it with a blend of tartaric/malic acid if need be.

I recall, as a child, for my birthday when I was maybe eight, asking for pizza from a local pizza place and some Ripple. My parents granted my wish, even took me to liquor store to pick it out, or change my mind. I was served about half an ounce of wine that my Mom had diluted with Concord. But in all truth I was more of a Mogan David birthday girl back then, took a walk on the wild side with Ripple. I had wine on every childhood birthday I can recall, and I still do--guess I am a lifelong wino!?!

Big_Cat said:
A co worker has asked me if I could make him some Ripple wine, I have no Idea what Ripple wine is but this guy doesnt drink the finest so does anyone know what Ripple is made with and what exactly is it? I do remember that Fred Sanford drank it on the TV series but I thought it was more of a joke than a real drink

It's cheap wine. Buy him a jug of Carl Rossi and save yourself efforts on better wine!

Back