Traditional Lithuanian Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshtrayDinner

Reaction score
Hi all.

I have been charged with making a Lithuanian Monastic Beer, and am having some trouble. I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or information regarding traditional lithuanian beers.

Specifically there was talk of using pea flour in this beer, and try as I might I can find no references to this in Lithuanian beer.

Since it is already an obscure topic, my research has been frustrated further by the litany of news articles regarding the SVYTURYS advertisment controversy, where the catholic church complained about their ad campaign which featured drinking monks.
http://www.dnaindia.com/world/report_angry-lithuanian-monks-stop-insulting-beer-ad_1505619
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm very excited about this project.
Cheers.:mug:

Thank you for your response. I thought this thread might go dead with no replies.

Thanks for the help. I'll revive this thread and post pics when the beer is done. It should be something very unique, at least for this country.

@AshtrayDinner - where did you hear about "monastic" Lithuanian brewing?

I am Lithuanian beer enthusiast and homebrewer, keen on local brewing history, but haven't heard or read much about "monastic" brewing other than that it was actually practiced in monasteries, such as Karmeliet monastery in Vilnius.

Much more is known about countryside brewing, or farmhouse ales/beers as it was put by recent Beer Connoisseur magazine feature, as this tradition is alive and kicking. Brewing with peas is part of this tradition, and is still practiced commercially by Biržai brewery in their "Širvenos" example.

As for Švyturys, I wouldn't bother with that as this company is infamous for its PR gags and false claims. It has no connection with monasteries or monks whatsoever, they just put monks on ads to make some noise and sell more of their bland euro fizz.

I have a close friend from Lithuania so I'm interested in how this turns out as well!

Good luck!

Back