how to store ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
Whats the best way to store the different types of brewing ingredients? Such as DME, LME, Hops, Steeping Grains Etc. Also, whats the lifespan of these ingredients. I will only be brewing once or twice a month, so trying to figure out if its beneficial to buy in bulk

Whats the best way to store the different types of brewing ingredients? Such as DME, LME, Hops, Steeping Grains Etc. Also, whats the lifespan of these ingredients. I will only be brewing once or twice a month, so trying to figure out if its beneficial to buy in bulk

DME and LME store well in the container they come in as long as it's sealed. Hops should always be kept in an airtight container in the freezer. Crushed grains only last a couple of weeks. Uncrushed grain lasts quite a bit longer but should be kept in a container.

Hops are best stored in the freezer, I use a Foodsaver to vacuum-pack them. They only harvest once a year, so I think it is worth buying in bulk if you have the equipment and freezer space.

Malt should be kept in a cool dry place, uncrushed. I vaccum-pack extra specialty grains, but for basemalt I just leave it in the sack and put the sacks in large plastic bins to keep any mice out.

Yeast in the fridge, buy/use it as fresh as you can (especially liquid).

DME again I vacuum pack if I have some left, again a cool spot is the best idea. LME I never save, but before you open it a cool place is best to reduce Maillard reactions (darkening and flavor changes).

Back