Fermenting Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I have a BIG double door freezer that no longer works as a freezer. The compressor is old and the guts of this thing are in bad shape. I wanted to convert the unit into a fermenting chamber for ales and lagers. I have been told that you cannot use a window type air conditioner for this conversion or any AC for that matter. Why? I have yet to get a straight answer. Those of you that have built a wood/insulation type fermenting chamber and used an AC, what's the difference in my freezer box compared to your home built chamber? Why can't I do this conversion? I really dig this freezer as it could possibly hold 8 carboys on the floor along with numerous other items on the shelves. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Gabe

The only reason I can see not using a window AC unit is people thinking you want to keep using the units refrigeration system. In that case it wouldn't work because cutting through the sides of your freezer will damage the cooling lines. If you are just using it as an insulated box.... I don't see any problems.

10-4 good buddy! I just want to use the box. There are zero guts in this thing. I purely want to use it for the space it provides and the fact that I received it for free. Now can someone who's done this before let me know what I will need to do the job? I should look for which AC unit? Etc. Thanks

I'd say look for any cheap 5000 BTU AC unit. I know there's a thread around here where someone built a walk in lagering... erm I mean a root cellar :D and they used a wall mounted AC unit.

Latest posts

Back