carbon fiber ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munimula

Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this.

The company I work for makes products from carbon fiber flat sheets of 0.100 and 1/8" thick. I end up with odd shaped pieces that get thrown away. I can take all the carbon fiber I want since its trash after we cut our product from it.

My question to you guys is some ideas to use it for. Preferably beer related. What could I make that you might have a use for. Carbon is extremely heat resistant. I'm not sure how well the finish would hold up but its tough stuff.

Thanks for any ideas in advance.

As much as id like to build an electric brewery. Not in the cards. But if anyone wants a carbon fiber panel. Send me a template and a small donation and ill machine one out for ya.

Could be a good component for a mash paddle... Actually, as I play a LOT with carbon myself (DIY, make my own racecar parts), I oughtta get around to making a pretty carbon mash paddle... wouldn't be any harder than a DIY golf club shaft... wrap 'round a balsa or similar core material... :D

Only concern might be wanting to give it plenty of time to cure, off-gas and maybe even a supplemental boil pre-use to ensure nothing funky comes off in terms of chemicals from the epoxy etc...

How is CF at insulating? It seems like it could make a nice heat shield, thin and light, but I don't know how well it insulates.

I've got plenty I can test and let you guys know. This stuff has both sides finished in a glossy gel coat. Its high end stuff.

CF def holds heat. That's why the better CF car hoods are vented,as mine is. Something to keep in mind. Plus,CF is more structurally ridgid after being bolted in place. It seems to need other connected parts to help transfer shock loads. Modern cars are a prime example with what ford called "crush zones" in my days working for them. In that context,CF is strong. With a good gel coat & clear coat it'll look good & perform well for years.
Having said that,I'm a bit leary about heated chemical transfer from the catalized resin used to cure it. "dry" CF eliminates this,but must be "cured" into shape under heat & pressure. I saw a mold operation for dry CF once,& it looked like an iron lung. One concideration for sure...

Heres an idea of what it looks like. The bits I get are flat.

ForumRunner_20120912_140833.jpg

If it's cured in flat sheets,it'l have to be cut re-fused into the desired shape. Like maybe CF or FG backing cured to hold it in the desired shape with a simple mold to hold the shape until the backing material cures.

Not trying to make 3d bitS. I can machine out any shape from the flat pieces. That's all I'm really looking to do here. Anyone want some carbon fiber coasters?

That would be pretty cool!
Hmm...what else can I come up with.

Face plate for controller.
Backsplash on coffin
Insert for drip tray
Tap handle inserts, can be used like a dry erase

Yeah, i was thinking get pieces and then glue them to make a box. Would be sweet!

Back