Another first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyp1214

Reaction score
Been obsessing over the funk for some time now and decided to try one out.:rockin:
In primary bucket yesterday and will be moving it into a carboy and adding the bugs after airlock starts to calm.
Here's my recipe:

La Folie "clone" Flanders red

OG = 1.062 FG = 1.015 (or lower)
IBU = 20 SRM = 17 ABV = 6.0%

Ingredients
1 lb. 5 oz. (0.60 kg) Munich malt
1 lb. 5 oz. (0.60 kg) crystal malt (60 °L)
10 oz. (0.28 kg) flaked wheat
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale)
1.5 oz. aged Czech saaz
7 lbs. liquid pilsner extract
Primary- White Labs WLP001 (California Ale)
White Labs WLP655 (Belgian Sour Mix 1) blend
Target OG right on.

Anyone have any luck using the wood dowel in your carboy?

If you want something as sour as La Folie the sooner you add the other microbes the better. Adding them in secondary has never given more than a mild tartness.

I have tried the wooden dowel, but never thought it improved the beer over oak cubes.

Cool thanks...Theres little activity thus far from the wlp001 I tossed in last night so when I get home from work Ill toss the belgian ale sour mix in. And let it get working as well.

Ill probably transfer it to a carboy with some pinot soaked cubes in a week or so.

Sounds good, some bottle dregs are also a good idea. The microbes from wyeast and white labs tend to be on the tame side, adding dregs will boost the acidity, add complexity, and provide some insurance.

Just added the belgian mix some orval, folie and cuvee rene geuze dregs so should work out good. Krausen had alreay started from cali ale yeast but at least I got the bugs in before in started going crazy.

Have a bottle of temptation Ill throw some dregs from that in over the next few days...

What do you recommend for leaving it in primary, and will it be okay that I pitched the yeast/sour blend the way I did? As far as i know the Belgian sour mix has a strain of sacc in it already anyway which will make the bugs compete with it.

You already have so much sacch from primary fermentation that I doubt the additional yeast will be a problem. I like my beers relatively yeast free going into secondary, so I would leave it in primary until the primary yeast drops out for the most part, but before you get a pellicle (say 2-3 weeks).

Back