Moldy Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HundleBundle

Reaction score
Hey guys...longtime lurker first time poster. I know theres a lot of other threads like this, and I've looked at a whole bunch of them, but I think the only way I can get a definitive answer is to post my own pictures.

I've been making a Ranger IPA clone (though through my own mistakes not nearly as high alcohol %) and it smelled really good. Fast forward a bit and its been in the rack for 4 weeks or so, and I was thinking of bottling today and I notice something that looks like mold to me on the top of the beer. It looks like some kind of milky goo that is kinda stringy I guess. Also in one part, theres white dots that look like some kind of solid powdery substance.

I took some pics. I know they aren't the best particularly because its taking a pic of beer in the rack so the glass distorts, but I think you can see it pretty well.

What do you guys think? Should I bottle it and just leave the top part/moldy part? Is this even worth doing? I know chances are it is tasteless but drinking moldy beer seems unhealthy... or am I completely being paranoid and its something else (I doubt this)? Any input is helpful. Thanks!

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

I don't see anything that looks even remotely like mold in there. Looks like yeast rafts to me. You're fine.
And fyi, even if it were mold, you could just rack under it and the beer would be fine. Many of us have done it. Mold only grows on the surface of the beer, the layer exposed to air, you can leave mold behind to no ill effects.

First of all, thanks guys for the quick responses! I was seriously considering not bottling (or at least waiting and seeing if the stuff 'grew') but I went ahead and did it.

I'm sure it'll turn out good, but I was able to take some more pics of the mystery substance since it clung to the sides of the carboy and also got sucked up into my siphon a little bit. Here's the pics:

On the sides of the carboy
A better view
In the auto-siphon

still think its yeast? most of it was stuck together in one mass but it was kinda stringy.

I'll follow up when I try the beer in a few weeks and let you guys know if it tastes good and what not...

The last pics do look like mold. I wouldn't worry about it unless you get nasty slugs in the bottle.

Back