Drill Powered Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowfro

Reaction score
Just wondering how some of you all grain brewers approach crushing your grains for brew day. I've got a Corona mill that's powered by a variable speed drill (pictured), but have been toggling between carefully watching the crush and manually operating the drill at a lower RPM and going the fast route and letting the drill fly through the grains. Over the last 4 or 5 batches I haven't really found any significant differences in results, so I'm just curious what others do.

Slow and steady or let 'er rip?

grain mill.jpg

I found that with my Barley Crusher, faster speeds result in more torn husks, so I prefer more moderate speeds. I also started malt conditioning a couple of batches ago, which makes a big difference.

I condition my grain and then let er rip. I have a set up very similar to yours only it is roller mill and the drill is secured to a table so I just turn it on and it starts grinding. I don't have to hold the drill.

I have it go as fast as the drill can go with my mill set to the width of a credit card.

Conditioning the grain makes a world of difference

I mill by hand with my Barley Crusher and rather enjoy doing it that way. The additional pay off is that I am happy with my grind every time. The only second thoughts I ever have is when I mill about 7 lbs of rye for my Roggen....that stuff is hard!!!:cross:

Latest posts

Back