Blow-off down-low.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Can anyone provide me with a comprehensive answer that encompasses blow-offs, and yeast cell loss rate due to blow-off?

I have brewed many batches, made many starters, some with vigorous fermentations, and no blow-off, and others with blow-offs.

The reason I am asking this question is, I brewed a 10 gallon batch last weekend and made two 3.5 Liter starters earlier in the week, neither of which blew off, kreausen yes, blow off, no. WLP001, WLP023. (FWIW, WLP023 much more active in the fermenter than WLP001, ferm chamber set at 64°f fr the first two days, then bumped up to 66° on day 3, and 67° on day 4 which is where it stays due to the 1° swing.)

Wednesday night I made a starter for a Belgian Dubbel I will be brewing Sunday (WLP530). I used the exact same method as I did for the other starters, which is 2 liters to start, and bumped up to 4 liters instead of 3.5L 24 hours later.

However, the WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast blew off crazy-like, and spewed a ton of yeast out.

I have asked this before, and received a less than stellar answer, but why the blow-off? Are some yeasts simply more active than others, and how much yeast am I losing with a blow off?

The sediment of yeast in the WLP001, and 023 seemed much thicker (ie. seemed like there was more yeast in the bottom) than this starter.

My concern is when there is a blowoff when making a starter, I am losing a considerable amount of yeast cells. Do I have more than what was in the vial to begin with? yes, but how much may I be losing to the blow-off, and why the damn blow off!

Ambient temps for all starters have been about 74°f. I understand that temperatureis a major contributing factor, but other than that what would make my 3 starters, one of which, behave so incredibly different, other than the strain?

Any comprehensive answers would be greatly appreciated.

Blow off is better than no blow off... why complain about a good thing? By the time you have blow off the carboy or fermenter is teeming with yeast, there is no stopping it, and anything you lose is incidental. Are you not getting the FGs you want?

I know a blow-off is a good sign, yet, the ampoutn of thick yeast sludge that blew off of my starter seemed like a considerable amount.

Back