Cider anxiety.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I am probably just worrying too much, but I need a little re-assurance here. I've got 10 gallons of wine doing just fine, but I'm worried about the cider I started recently.

I used 18L of pasteurized apple juice, no preservatives. Upped the sugar to bring the OG to 1.064 6 days ago. I worry because I set up the juice, nice and ready with nutrient and k-meta. When I went to pitch the yeast, I realized I didn't have any, and the store was closed. I threw the airlock on and waited till the next day. By the time I got my yeast (Lalvin 1118) there was foam on top of the juice, as well as some minor bubbling. Worried about contamination I panicked and pitched the yeast, then sealed it up tight.

6 Days later, it has fermented dry to an SG of 0.996. I took a sample for a taste before racking and sorbating. It tasted just foul. Reminiscent of wet cardboard, but not rotten or vinegar-like.

This is my first cider, so I'm wondering if the terrible taste is due to contamination; or does it simply need to be sweetened and aged? I know cider doesn't get "good" until many months of aging, but is the change really that drastic?

Thanks for your time guys, it's greatly appreciated.

A fast ferment to a dry finish is never pretty. A couple months, and you'll be amazed.

Back